• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I see 9/11 season has started early this year.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see 9/11 season has started early this year.

Channel 4 is already into its second night of programs and we have more than a week to go. Their 9 o'clock 9/11 show is repeated tomorrow at 11.

Are you talking about 11/9???
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Are you talking about 11/9???
      no, nine shillings and eleven pence
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Ironic to think that Obama wanted to support Al Qaeda in Syria hardly causes a ripple in American politics

12 years is obviously a long time for yanks
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          Ironic to think that Obama wanted to support Al Qaeda in Syria hardly causes a ripple in American politics 12 years is obviously a long time for yanks
          In some ways Al-Q ending up on top of Syria is probably the best scenario for the US.

It seems increasingly unlikely that any group that we might plausibly call friendly will win, indeed the country may fragment or the war drag on for a decade or more, look at Lebanon.

An unstable regime will fear its own people more than it fears a few cruise missiles and once the current regime breaks down, so does control of the chemical weapons, we could easily end up with lots of groups each with some nasties and even with only two main sides it is hard to really know who used them but when there are 10 ?

Some may try to sell them and in my view the sort of person who buys Sarin gas that fell off the back of a lorry is not who I'd like to have them.

Or they may lob them at Israel, who will nuke them back. These are Russian bits of kit, therefore reasonably reliable and stable and relatively small. How hard to sneak one into NY or London ?

A clear victory by people that the Americans can point at and say "bad" allows them politically to go in and trash the place by bombing. Peacekeeping hasn't worked too well recently, but area bombing is something they can do well.

Around the central core of nutters are floaters who could be convinced that an AlQ Caliphate would be a good idea, if the first one got bombed flat and poisoned by its own weapons, that might be seen as a deterrent.

The worst case for the US is something like Egypt, where the regime oscillates between elements it likes and hates, since that makes the politics more complex and risky for politicians.

Even the maddest countries like Iran, know there is a boundary that if they cross will mean they will get their own special episode of Horrible Histories, groups might convince themselves they can get away with it or not care if they get nuked.
          Last edited by Dominic Connor; 2 September 2013, 22:47.
          My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

I'm not convinced Des.
            I can think of eighteen scenarios that are better for the USA than Al quaeda taking over in Syria.
            make that 19. I just thought of another

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              no, nine shillings and eleven pence
              Don't be silly, he's talking about a slightly lazy convenience store, 9-Eleven

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                Don't be silly, he's talking about a slightly lazy convenience store, 9-Eleven
                Are you sure it's not Jimmy Carr's sequel to 8 Out of 10 Cats?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                  Are you sure it's not Jimmy Carr's sequel to 8 Out of 10 Cats?
                  9-11

Nah that's more Rolf Harris interest surely
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    9-11

Nah that's more Rolf Harris interest surely
                    everyone knows Rolf was more interested in 27 year olds

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment