• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank account rejected coz of Experian

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank account rejected coz of Experian

I applied for business bank account. The bank rejected because of something they found on my Experian report. (Bank won’t tell what...)

Hence, I paid Experian fees and viewed my credit report and found out, they don’t have my current address info. It’s still showing my previous address. I moved to my current address 3 years ago!
    And because of this, it says I am not registered on electoral roll. (I am on electoral roll on my current address.)

When I called Experian the guy is saying because you haven’t updated you address after moving, we don’t have your current address. He was like only you know that you moved and it’s your responsibility to update details on Experian.

This sounds completely wrong to me. I am not going to update my details every time I move house. (And hence pay for their membership, as only members can update their details.)
    Something is wrong here; don’t they check with banks and update address automatically??

Has anyone else faced same issue?

Are you 100% sure your address is correct on the electoral roll? The agencies have access to that info. In practice, mistakes are made all the time and it's up to you to check your credit report occasionally to make sure that info. is correct. Harsh lesson though, I agree.

Some background info:

Not listed on the Electoral Roll at your current address?

Comment

Originally posted by legal View Post
      I applied for business bank account. The bank rejected because of something they found on my Experian report. (Bank won’t tell what...)

Hence, I paid Experian fees and viewed my credit report and found out, they don’t have my current address info. It’s still showing my previous address. I moved to my current address 3 years ago!
      And because of this, it says I am not registered on electoral roll. (I am on electoral roll on my current address.)

When I called Experian the guy is saying because you haven’t updated you address after moving, we don’t have your current address. He was like only you know that you moved and it’s your responsibility to update details on Experian.

This sounds completely wrong to me. I am not going to update my details every time I move house. (And hence pay for their membership, as only members can update their details.)
      Something is wrong here; don’t they check with banks and update address automatically??

Has anyone else faced same issue?
      Where to start...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Are you 100% sure your address is correct on the electoral roll? The agencies have access to that info. In practice, mistakes are made all the time and it's up to you to check your credit report occasionally to make sure that info. is correct. Harsh lesson though, I agree.

Some background info:

Yes, I am sure I am on electoral roll as another credit ref agency "noddle" confirms this. And they have my up-to-date info and they don't even charge for reports.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Some background info:

So if you choose not have your details public on the electoral role you cant have a positive credit file at Experian?

What if you need to have your details private (have a stalker, on the run etc).

Comment

Originally posted by legal View Post
            Yes, I am sure I am on electoral roll as another credit ref agency "noddle" confirms this. And they have my up-to-date info and they don't even charge for reports.
            Ultimately, it is your responsibility to ensure that everything is correct. You should get your info. from the council in writing (if you don't have it already) and send a copy to Experian to get that info. updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Podgy View Post
              So if you choose not have your details public on the electoral role you cant have a positive credit file at Experian?

What if you need to have your details private (have a stalker, on the run etc).
              Credit agencies use the full electoral roll for identity/address checks to prevent fraud. You can opt out of the edited register (which is more widely accessible).

Comment

Looks like you are a victim of an Experian agency screw up.

Credit agents do make mistakes and clearing them up is a nightmare.

You are going to have to do your own research on this to sort it out. ( Can't remember what you have to do but there are BBC programmes on it.)

In the meantime try to get business account with a bank you already have a personal account with.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Podgy View Post
                  Nope.

Experian and the rest get the full roll so it's not a problem.

They do sometimes make mistakes including mixing people with the same first and last names up even if they live in different parts of the country, and mixing family members up especially if they have the same initials which is why you should give your kids different initials to yourself.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And Experian are not the only people doing this so check Equifax as well. I see Callcredit starting to be mentioned as well now.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X