• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 poser

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 poser

Suppose you have the choice of the following:-

Move to a different project in clientco
    Stay in the same project but perform a different task (within your skill set but not included with the description of the work schedule of being pedantic.)

Which one is more IR35 unfriendly. Its a theoretical question more than a real one so no insults required....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Suppose you have the choice of the following:-

Move to a different project in clientco
    Stay in the same project but perform a different task (within your skill set but not included with the description of the work schedule of being pedantic.)

Which one is more IR35 unfriendly. Its a theoretical question more than a real one so no insults required....
    Both are equally unfriendly. Both would require a new contract agreed and signed (although this is easier to do during contract extension).

I walked from a contract that canned the project I was on and expected me to do something else.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The first one has no bearing on status - you will be a supplier on a new project, with a new scope of work defined accordingly. Doing work on demand is what an employee does, so the latter is problematic (working outside of the scope of supply - skillset is irrelevant).

Comment

As long as a new contract is raised with a detailed description of the work I don't think either are a problem.

If you slide from one skill to another it can look very permiesque but if it is a new piece of contracted work then you can easily argue it is a new opportunity. That is how Cognizant, Wipro etc make their money.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

(or at least the Work Schedule amended, agreed and signed.)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            (or at least the Work Schedule amended, agreed and signed.)
            I did this after asking the boards opinion awhile ago and although I do think it is enough for minor moves within a project I just felt it wasn't enough. I know it is ok and easily defendable I just wanted it to be a bit more... meaty. I had a good relationship with the client so they were happy to terminate the contract for the first piece of work and start a whole new one for the next piece. I felt a lot more comfortable with this as well as a binned notice to boot.

Over the top for what is necessary I know, just wanted it belt and braces for my own peace of mind.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Both a bad, but if scaled, I would say issue 1 is a higher risk, dependent on how the contract is worded, of course.

Comment

Really, the OP needs to clarify the scenarios in terms of whether new contracts are being drawn-up, because they are both bad in the absence of new contracts/schedules of work. But, from the info. that the OP does provide, this is a red flag: "but not included with the description of the work schedule of being pedantic." Or it would've been a red flag, had it been written in English

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  The first one has no bearing on status - you will be a supplier on a new project, with a new scope of work defined accordingly. Doing work on demand is what an employee does, so the latter is problematic (working outside of the scope of supply - skillset is irrelevant).
                  I'd assume that the first option would be a new project with a new contract whereas the second one would be the same project with the same contract but a deviation from the contracted work. I therefore agree with jamesbrown - working on demand on whatever you are told to is the sort of control that exists in an employment relationship, I think option 2 is more problematic from an IR35 perspective!

Hope this helps!
                  Craig

Comment

Negotiate an extra £10 per day. New project. New quote.

Comment

Working...
                    X