• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Managers - I need your input please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Managers - I need your input please

OK - so im planning to go into the project management sector
    I have seen a course at the Open university, link below

M865 - Project management - Open University Course

Anyone taken this course? or do you think Prince2 course is more credible than OU courses?

Originally posted by rurffy View Post

Anyone taken this course? or do you think Prince2 course is more credible than OU courses?
    To be honest with you, I think you would be better off with PRINCE2. I'm looking to get a project manager role soon, and recently passed my PRINCE2 exam. Most contractor job descriptions I have read for PM Roles all just say "prince2, MSP, or other similar PM certificate required" although occasional job roles require Agile PM, which is something i'm learning about at the moment.

Comment

Prince 2 or PMP or both. You don't see contract rolls specifying OU courses.

Comment

Training

Originally posted by rurffy View Post

Think link will give you all the PM training you will ever require

http://www.cvr-it.com/images/PM_Build_Swing.gif

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
          Prince 2 or PMP or both. You don't see contract rolls specifying OU courses.
          Most project manager contract jobs I see advertised are well tasty.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 June 2020, 19:53.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

My recommendation would be to get the PMP certification from the PMI over a Prince2 qualification.

The two things I think PMP has over Prince2 are :

PMP is more international whereas Prince2 is predominately UK focused.

But more importantly Prince2 is a complete project methodology whereas PMP is just a collection of techniques and best practices. It is very hard to run a Prince 2 project in an organisation that is not wholly bought into Prince but you can always use PMP to run a project anywhere.

Haven't got a view on the OU course but as stated earlier ..... nobody asks for an OU qualification but that is not to say it's not worthwhile doing to actually learn project management.

You could do the OU course and PMP.

Comment

Project Management

As others have said, you will need the PRINCE2 on your CV (whether the methodology is going to be used or not)
              Then followed by how many years experience, you have, with examples.....

I don't think that OU course will be recognized by Agents or Hirers let alone add value to your CV....

If just starting out, PRINCE2 on CV, then Project Support, Project Admin, Junior PM, etc is where you should be starting,
              there are a lot of seasoned PM's that will always be looking IMHO....

Comment

PRINCE2 for UK especially public sector.
                Otherwise PMP

These will stop your CV getting binned for not have the qualifications. Your CV will then get binned if you haven't been a PM before. Suggest you either:

Take on some PM / workstream lead responsibilities in a non-PM role - perhaps cover for a PM on leave.
                Try to land a PM role in a small project which demands some actual work as well in your field, preferably in a niche where you have expertise and/or with a client who respects your skills, or
                Get a permie PM role.

You need to get some PM job / contract titles on your CV IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  My recommendation would be to get the PMP certification from the PMI over a Prince2 qualification.

The two things I think PMP has over Prince2 are :

PMP is more international whereas Prince2 is predominately UK focused.

But more importantly Prince2 is a complete project methodology whereas PMP is just a collection of techniques and best practices. It is very hard to run a Prince 2 project in an organisation that is not wholly bought into Prince but you can always use PMP to run a project anywhere.

Haven't got a view on the OU course but as stated earlier ..... nobody asks for an OU qualification but that is not to say it's not worthwhile doing to actually learn project management.

You could do the OU course and PMP.
                  I echo this especially.

Comment

Let's take a step back here. How do you propose to get in to the project management sector? Get PRINCE? If so you are on a wish and prayer. PRINCE is a checkbox for agents and clients. It is not a differentiator as to whether or not you get the gig. They just put it on there to sort candidates easily. You will get the gig based on experience and your demonstrated ability to PM. There are many many PM's on the bench with decades of experience so thinking this course will get you in is going to leave you very disappointed.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X