• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying large divi - sticking my head over the parapet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying large divi - sticking my head over the parapet?

I'm thinking of paying myself a lumpsum out of my ltd's profits to fund a buy to let venture.

This will take me way into the higher tax bracket. Could this bring myself to the attention of HMRC as it will look highly irregular compared to previous years' accounts?

I don't see how. Business's have good years and bad years which affect their divi payments. As long as it is all out of profits and documented it is all above board. I think you are getting tied up over your own self imposed limit according to tax banding.

I would however pass it past your accountant in case there is anything else you can do, maybe wait and split it across company year end to lessen the hit. Maybe even split it across three years with a 1/3 divi with rest as a loan. Timed right you should be able to take the second and 3rd div over three years? Only benefit there I can see is it gives you time to tighten your belt for a few years so maybe not need as much divi as a lump sum now... if that makes sense. I am guessing here so a good accountant will help.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 September 2013, 12:44.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The last few years I've been paying myself divis up to the higher rate threshold and the rest into a pension.

It would be quite a big discrepancy on previous years, that's all I wad concerned about. Of course, it'll also mean I'll have to make payments on account which will be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I don't see how. Business's have good years and bad years which affect their divi payments. As long as it is all out of profits and documented it is all above board. I think you are getting tied up over your own self imposed limit according to tax banding.

I would however pass it past your accountant in case there is anything else you can do, maybe wait and split it across company year end to lessen the hit. Maybe even split it across three years with a 1/3 divi with rest as a loan. Timed right you should be able to take the second and 3rd div over three years? Only benefit there I can see is it gives you time to tighten your belt for a few years so maybe not need as much divi as a lump sum now... if that makes sense. I am guessing here so a good accountant will help.

Yes, thanks. I'll do that - want to do this before housing market gets silly again. Year end in March so I could split it over 2 years at least....

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
          The last few years I've been paying myself divis up to the higher rate threshold and the rest into a pension.

It would be quite a big discrepancy on previous years, that's all I wad concerned about. Of course, it'll also mean I'll have to make payments on account which will be a pain.
          You can reduce the payments on account if your income will drop in the following tax year.

It might highlight you to HMRC, but then you could get a random inspection at any time anyway. Provided you have nothing dodgy going on then it should be quite a simple enquiry anyway.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
            I'm thinking of paying myself a lumpsum out of my ltd's profits to fund a buy to let venture.
            You could also consider closing the company and taking a capital distribution...

Sure it might flag you up to HMRC but so long as your accounts and tax affairs are straight then who cares?
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

IME, its unlikely to change risk profiles in its own right.

Comment

Working...
              X