• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income tax calculation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income tax calculation

At the start of this financial year I was with an umbrella company and up to June I earned £26,500 and paid approx £8,000 inc tax and £1,300 NI.
    I have since set up a limited co and have paid myself £19k in dividends (excluding tax credit) and I wont pay any further salary this year.

The way I see it I have over paid inc tax on the salary by approx £4.5k, so any dividends I pay myself to take my total income over the £41k threashold, the income tax on it should be dividends * 0.25 - £4.5k.

Anyone able confirm if this would be the right approximation?

That looks about right!

If you don't go over the HR threshold then you will get a refund of £4,500 when you file the self-assessment for the year.

If your Gross income does go over the HR threshold then the tax is 25% of the Net dividend but in your case you can get a tax liability of ~£4,500 (based on what you are saying) before you will actually need to pay anything.

Hope this helps!
    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by gbonner View Post
      Anyone able confirm if this would be the right approximation?
      yes, your accountant can.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X