• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keeping options open?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping options open?

Hi,

I recently came to the end of my contract so am now looking for new roles.

I have an new offer in hand, but also 2 more interviews lined up which I'd like to attend as they are better rates/more interesting work.

Any suggestions on how I might 'buy some more time' with the first contract so I can have conversations with the other 2?

Thanks in advance.

Umtouchable1

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
    Hi,

I recently came to the end of my contract so am now looking for new roles.

I have an new offer in hand, but also 2 more interviews lined up which I'd like to attend as they are better rates/more interesting work.

Any suggestions on how I might 'buy some more time' with the first contract so I can have conversations with the other 2?

Thanks in advance.

Umtouchable1
    Yes state that you need to send the contract for review (IR35, T&Cs) before signing it. Then apologize when they hassle and promise to chase...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The other two interviews may be more attractive but you ain't nailed on to get the gig. <cliche mode>Bird in the hand and all that.</cliche mode>

You could refuse to take the pimps calls/emails and get the interviews in pretty quick but you'll be pissing them off. (Many on here will say that's not a bad thing.) and you could lose the gig. This is contracting, only you can make the decision what to do.

Good luck.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Make a decision. It's bad form stringing the client along (forget the agency) they've just interviewed several people, and now they might have to restart the whole thing and delay the project.

Either take the project or be brutally honest and go for the other two, ie. "yeah still interested but going for a better contract", they might still be there. I don't believe in the "subject to contract" excuse. "Yeah I know you agreed to all my terms and conditions but I still don't like it", I mean you may as well be honest.

This is not a permie job it's a 3/6 month contract and you need a new one after it's complete and the client is a good potential customer, don't p** him off.

6 months is over in the blinking of an eye and I don't buy the "project A is more interesting than B" you'll spend most of your time in meetings, code reviews, writing documents and handholding QA. About 3 minutes of your time will be spent writing a new interesting algorithm.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 October 2013, 14:03.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you are talking maybe a week to 10 days then yes use excuse to get the contract reviewed. Be very very careful not to give the agent the impression you are taking it. Even if you say 'accept subject to contract review' he will see this as acceptance and scurry off to start the paperwork and in his mind it is binding.

If you are talking more than 2 weeks then man up and dump it. Pretty poor form to keep a client and agent hanging for that long. After two weeks your name will be mud and it is more than likely you will get laughed at if you appear back and say ok you will take it. Realistically it will have gone by then anyway so no point stringing them on for over 2 weeks.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have to agree with others here, there is a limit to how long you can string something out.
            That said, I recenty got offered a contract and was all set to take it, but had another iron in the fire.....over the phone, I said to Agent A that I would accept, but would only firm this up subject to contract review and so forth. In the meantime, option 2 came in with an offer - more money, no need to stay away - and I accepted. Immediately contacted Agent A and withdrew - this was 3 business days after verbally accepting - on the grounds that the Onboarding process (it was for FS company with all sorts of complicated checks seemingly) still had not started and I could not hang around. All in all, made my excuse to be down to their tardiness.....a little guilty conscience, but hey-ho!
            But - I would not countenance a longer period of playing one off in the hope another came in!
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

All,

Thanks for the insight and responses. Resolved.

Cheers,
              Untouchable1

Comment

Working...
              X