• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello & 'junior' positions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello & 'junior' positions

New here and probably not too an unusual story overall.

I've been considering doing contracting for many years, but now is the first point I'm seriously trying to get positions through agencies.
    I've got a good many years experience as a software tester, but just recently I've been doing some LAMP/WAMP stuff and quite enjoying it, so I'd like to continue with this avenue if possible.
    I have had a few contracts recently which I've got through word of mouth.

I've had what I considered good interest for some php positions, but nothing more than that.
    Is this just to be expected, or anything else I can do?

I've had agents get back to me and spend a chunk of time on the phone after I've applied on jobserve etc. Have been told my CV would be passed on.
    However, so far not had anything more than that, good or bad.

Is this par for the course, or am I doing something wrong?

I've generally been going for positions listed as 'junior', which has been discussed with the agents generally - appreciating that while I've got lots of general experience, more limited as an actual coder.

Any thoughts?

Going to update my tester CV and try applying for a few positions in that area too.

Junior positions have a different meaning between contractors and permies. In permie land it tends to be a lead in where you can gain more experience to then move to more senior ones as your grow in your knowledge and career. This concept is not the same for contractors. We are not taken on to lesser positions because we know less and need to grow. Even if it is a junior position they want people that are skilled to that level. They are not looking for people to learn or take on new skills. They want someone that can do the job. If you don't have the experience in that role they will not look at you. There will be plenty of people with plenty of experience at the level you want to enter in so your lack of experience will put you to the back of the queue.

There is the other factor that an experience contractor taking junior roles is a risk. You can earn a higher rate so why would you stay in one that is paying less. They will have it in mind that you will jump ship once a better gig comes along.

You are either skilled enough to do a junior role or you are not I would say. No learning, no backsteps etc. One or the other or even both of these reasons will be why you are not getting gigs.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers, some interesting points.

I've already been doing a similar position, however on my CV it seems I may need to modify how I present the concept of 'willingness to learn'.

The agencies seemed happy with my responses - but that can mean nothing for various reasons of course (including that it's what the client thinks that really matters.)

Oh and sorry to the mods if you got a double post - I was just losing signal on the Dover-Calais Ferry and thought I'd lost my post!

Comment

Originally posted by deeb View Post
        New here and probably not too an unusual story overall.

I've been considering doing contracting for many years, but now is the first point I'm seriously trying to get positions through agencies.
        I've got a good many years experience as a software tester, but just recently I've been doing some LAMP/WAMP stuff and quite enjoying it, so I'd like to continue with this avenue if possible.
        I have had a few contracts recently which I've got through word of mouth.

I've had what I considered good interest for some php positions, but nothing more than that.
        Is this just to be expected, or anything else I can do?

I've had agents get back to me and spend a chunk of time on the phone after I've applied on jobserve etc. Have been told my CV would be passed on.
        I love LAMP.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Junior in agency speak is linked to the nature of the (eg: Junior System Administrator), in other words they might want somebody who is between tech support and full fledged system administration. This is one example that comes to my mind.

In permieland, junior means you're willing to learn and move upwards or more likely that you're willing to do the same job but with a hefty pay cut.
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Cheers - have now tweaked CV to reflect the thoughts.

Any ideas of putting age (date of birth) on there?
            I haven't for ages, but wondering if 33 is about right for what employers are looking for or not?
            I've certainly heard people in other sectors moan about a lack of age on a CV, but would think it'd make less of a difference in this sort of situation.

Comment

Cheers - have now tweaked CV to reflect the thoughts.

Any ideas of putting age (date of birth) on there?
              I haven't for ages, but wondering if 33 is about right for what employers are looking for or not?
              I've certainly heard people in other sectors moan about a lack of age on a CV, but would think it'd make less of a difference in this sort of situation.
              What has your age got to do with **** all? There is no benefit to you putting it on but there is a benefit to the employer if he doesn't want kids or old gits in so does nothing except allow a client to discriminate against you. Your work history often gives a clue about your age so if he wants to know it he looks there.

Comment

Some companies don't CVs with age, marital status, children, etc. because they could be open to accusations of prejudice. I find that my 40 years experience covering teletypes, punch cards, and a mechanical card sorter doesn't impress. Talking about exciting new features in SQL Server 2014 CP1 does. My CV covers 10 years max. Luckily I have all my hair and not much grey so people think I am 10 years younger than I am, still get most contracts from telephone interviews though.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  Some companies don't CVs with age, marital status, children, etc. because they could be open to accusations of prejudice. I find that my 40 years experience covering teletypes, punch cards, and a mechanical card sorter doesn't impress. Talking about exciting new features in SQL Server 2014 CP1 does. My CV covers 10 years max. Luckily I have all my hair and not much grey so people think I am 10 years younger than I am, still get most contracts from telephone interviews though.
                  Must be the hair!!!

Comment

Cheers, some interesting points.

I've already been doing a similar position, however on my CV it seems I may need to modify how I present the concept of 'willingness to learn'.
                    "aptitude to learn new skills and technologies"

Comment

Working...
                    X