• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXCVIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXCVIII

Well, that's never happened before: in the time between loading this week's links up to check them, and then loading them up again via "Preview Post" for a final check, one of them has gone 404. It was heavily critical of the United States Department of Homeland Security. I'm sure that's just coincidence, though Substitute link sent on:
    • 10 Things You Should and Should Not Do at a Funeral - Funeral director Caleb Wilde offers some advice which one would have thought unnecessary, but which turns out not to be: for example, "One. Silence your phone. Seriously that means you."

• All the American Flags On the Moon Are Now White - "NASA has finally answered a long-standing question: all but one of the six American flags on the Moon are still standing up. Everyone is now proudly talking about it. The only problem is that they aren't American flags anymore. They are all white." So they buy cheap flags, and we all end up surrendering to the aliens

• Mr. Monk Ruins My Night - ""Mr. Monk Goes to the Bank" is one of the most painful hours I have ever spent with my television. There are a handful of scenes in film and TV that make me wince, but rarely do I sit through an entire episode that hinges on mishandling the opening of a lock." Schuyler Towne, lockpicker, bemoans the stupidity of this particular story, and of lock-related plots in popular media generally.

• Why Microsoft Word must Die - "One faction wanted to take the classic embedded-codes model, and update it to a graphical bitmapped display: you would select a section of text and mark it as "italic" or "bold" and the word processor would embed the control codes in the file and, when the time came to print the file, it would change the font glyphs being sent to the printer at that point in the sequence. But another group wanted to use a far more powerful model: hierarchical style sheets... In the end, the decree went out: Word should implement both formatting paradigms. Even though they're fundamentally incompatible and you can get into a horrible mess by applying simple character formatting to a style-driven document, or vice versa. Word was in fact broken by design, from the outset -- and it only got worse from there." Charlie Stross explains why he doesn't like Word.

• Dacre Classics - Great works of literature, as told by the Daily Mail. For example, Of Mice and Men: "Two workers, George and Lennie, have done the right thing and got on their metaphorical bikes to California so that they don’t have to sign on, like asylum seekers in your town... The two stop in a clearing that has not been destroyed yet by high-speed rail and decide to camp for the night."

• A Normal Life, An Extraordinary Death and the Video Game That Wasn't Meant to Be - "In late 2003, a friendly, attractive and perfectly normal 38-year-old woman named Joyce Vincent died in her London flat. She was in the midst of wrapping Christmas presents... Joyce's remains were eventually discovered when building officials entered her apartment to repossess it. They found her skeleton where she'd last sat, television still playing in front of her, presents still nearby, though quite a bit more dusty. That discovery happened—someone finally found out that Joyce had passed away from apparently natural causes—in January of 2006." When Carol Morley made a film about Joyce Vincent's death, an attempt was also made to make an associated game. Turns out it's hard to make a game about people dying alone.

• The Secrets of Bezos: How Amazon Became the Everything Store - Extract from Brad Stone's new book about Amazon, The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon, including examples of Bezos's blunt management style: [After reading a start-of-meeting memo] “This document was clearly written by the B team. Can someone get me the A team document? I don’t want to waste my time with the B team document.” [After an engineer’s presentation] “Why are you wasting my life?”

• The rise and fall of Silk Road's heroin kingpin - "Nod’s black-tar heroin had a certain sweetness to it. Many customers fell in love at first taste... Last week, as part of a larger movement against Silk Road's most prominent users, Steve Lloyd Sadler, a 40-year-old man from Bellevue, Wash., was arrested by the Department of Homeland Security. The DHS accuses Sadler of being Nod and say he built a digital empire in the Pacific Northwest that ranked him among the top one percent of all vendors." Detailed examination of the ways of a 21st century smack dealer.

• IKEA or Death - "IKEA is that friendly shop where you get cheap furniture from the inside of a giant, unending warehouse. Black metal is the kind of music that sounds like someone screaming while trapped inside a burning church. They each possess a fervent fan base. And to tell you the truth, the names of the furniture in IKEA sound a lot like the names of black metal bands. Consider this quiz an educational way to learn the difference between the two."

• Cider: Always drink responsibly. Unless you're from the 1970s. - Pete Brown examines some classic Bulmer's ads from the days before the Code of Practice said that alcohol advertising "...must neither link alcohol with seduction, sexual activity or sexual success nor imply that alcohol can enhance attractiveness… [and] must not imply that drinking alcohol is a key component of the success of a personal relationship or social event."

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Well, that's never happened before: in the time between loading this week's links up to check them, and then loading them up again via "Preview Post" for a final check, one of them has gone 404. It was heavily critical of the United States Department of Homeland Security. I'm sure that's just coincidence, though Substitute link sent on:
    • All the American Flags On the Moon Are Now White - "NASA has finally answered a long-standing question: all but one of the six American flags on the Moon are still standing up. Everyone is now proudly talking about it. The only problem is that they aren't American flags anymore. They are all white." So they buy cheap flags, and we all end up surrendering to the aliens

Happy invoicing!
    So they are now French flags?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Excellent selection.

Who, in their right mind, would wish to make a game out of the sad demise of Joyce Vincent?
      A Channel 4 producer, apparently

Comment

Death or IKEA?

I think I'd choose death.
        Amen to that!!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you read just one, read the classics as told by the DM.

Originally posted by Dickens
          Pip, a young orphan who scrounges off his sister and her benefit-cheating husband in their council house of Kent, trespasses in a cemetery one evening to look at his layabout parents’ tombstones

Comment

Death or IKEA?

I think I'd choose death.
            I was in IKEA today. Looking at some of the other shoppers there's a % of the population trying to achieve one whilst in the other.

Meatballs are nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
              I was in IKEA today. Looking at some of the other shoppers there's a % of the population trying to achieve one whilst in the other.

Meatballs are nice though.
              Presumably they've stopped putting faeces in their meatballs by now
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I did that IKEA or Death quiz, 1 got 1 wrong.

Sadly it’s not down to my knowledge of European death metal bands

I blame my sister: I have taken her to Ikea 3 times this year, before this year I had only ever been to IKEA once.
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Those Swedes do good Pulla.

OK actually this is the Finnish word but give me a break.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    I did that IKEA or Death quiz, 1 got 1 wrong.

Sadly it’s not down to my knowledge of European death metal bands

I blame my sister: I have taken her to Ikea 3 times this year, before this year I had only ever been to IKEA once.
                    also took the quiz and worryingly I got 19/20 also. I think it's mainly due to working at said furniture store HQ for the past 25 months and working on several asset management projects.. either that or my Swedish is becoming a lot better.
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X