• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK LTD Co - Acc. Not Done Anything for me for 5 Months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK LTD Co - Acc. Not Done Anything for me for 5 Months

Hi,

I was wondering if i can get any advice.

I have a UK LTD company, and i work in France. I have myself and my wife on the payroll, and then get dividends.

I have a very popular Accountants UK Bases (Unsure whether to mention the name)....basically, they have done nothing for me. I have never had a dividend payment, pay slips, or any expense claims processed.

What are my options? Can i just get rid of them, and ask someone else to tidy the mess up? Or do i need to have a long talk with them? Can i threaten them with any governing authorities for messing my accounts up?

Please let me know what you think i can do?

Basically, i dont actually need an accountant any more, as i am switching to a Managed Service solution, so i just need all the paperwork, and money extracting from this UK LTD company and then it making dormant/closing. - I dont need any ongoing accountancy services after this is tidied up.

Any advice appreciated.

(FYI, i am switching to a Managed Service Solution because i will be going past the 183 Day rule)

You can certainly move accountants if you want to, you'd simply have to pay a new firm to take over and you may end up paying more in fees to get everything done.

I'd suggest your first option would be to talk to your existing accountant. There may be a reason for things not being done, for example them not having the necessary information to advise you. Have you submitted all documents and data to them upon request? Have you already chased for things that they should have done, or is there a misunderstanding about what they would do for their fee? For example payslips are usually only supplied upon request - have they set up the payroll but just not given you the payslips? Have they advised on dividends but not filled out the paperwork for you? What were your expectations in regard to them processing expenses for you?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

The accountant normally does the paperwork, it is up to you to pay the actual money, dividend and pay. Depending on how your accountant work it is also up to you to document and pay the expenses. I think there is a disconnect between what an accountant does and what your responsibilities as a director of a company are. You sign the accounts off and are ultimately legally responsible. It is your business's accounts not your accountants so you need to manage them.

As Clare suggests you should have a chat with them and understand the responsibilities of both parties. I think you are in for a bit of a shock.

Also.... do not expect your accountant to wholly run your business. People expected this of Uptons and he is now languishing in gaol. Be very careful.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you sure you are considering a Managed Service solution? Do you not mean an umbrella company?

Given the Managed Service Company (MSC) legislation, it's important to make sure you know the difference:

Managed Service Companies - MSC Legislation, Rules and Guides

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          You can certainly move accountants if you want to, you'd simply have to pay a new firm to take over and you may end up paying more in fees to get everything done.

I'd suggest your first option would be to talk to your existing accountant. There may be a reason for things not being done, for example them not having the necessary information to advise you. Have you submitted all documents and data to them upon request? Have you already chased for things that they should have done, or is there a misunderstanding about what they would do for their fee? For example payslips are usually only supplied upon request - have they set up the payroll but just not given you the payslips? Have they advised on dividends but not filled out the paperwork for you? What were your expectations in regard to them processing expenses for you?
          Hi, thanks for the reply.

The reason for nothing being done, is that for the first 4 months of me being with them, they had 3 new accountants...brand new to the firm. It seems they spent a month and a bit chasing their own tails then just left....no idea how many people were effected.

As far as i am aware, none of the accountants done anything for me, or filed any paperwork.

I understand why you ask the questions though. It seems like a long time for me to not see any results, but just as the accountant got round to speaking with me and getting a grasp of what they needed to do, they left...then the cycle started again.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The accountant normally does the paperwork, it is up to you to pay the actual money, dividend and pay. Depending on how your accountant work it is also up to you to document and pay the expenses. I think there is a disconnect between what an accountant does and what your responsibilities as a director of a company are. You sign the accounts off and are ultimately legally responsible. It is your business's accounts not your accountants so you need to manage them.

As Clare suggests you should have a chat with them and understand the responsibilities of both parties. I think you are in for a bit of a shock.

Also.... do not expect your accountant to wholly run your business. People expected this of Uptons and he is now languishing in gaol. Be very careful.
            I am aware of what i do and what they do. But the accountant was supposed to crunch the numbers, produce the payslips, pay the tax & ni, and calculate and complete the dividend paperwork. I am aware that its my money, and i pay myself etc, and manage my own expense sheets, invoices etc.

Comment

Originally posted by One Click Group View Post
              Are you sure you are considering a Managed Service solution? Do you not mean an umbrella company?

Given the Managed Service Company (MSC) legislation, it's important to make sure you know the difference:

Managed Service Companies - MSC Legislation, Rules and Guides
              Yes, i do mean an Umbrella Company...sorry, i am unfamiliar with the exact terms. They call themselves a payroll management company, but after research, they are an umbrella company.

Comment

Originally posted by gaz0001 View Post
                Hi, thanks for the reply.

The reason for nothing being done, is that for the first 4 months of me being with them, they had 3 new accountants...brand new to the firm. It seems they spent a month and a bit chasing their own tails then just left....no idea how many people were effected.

As far as i am aware, none of the accountants done anything for me, or filed any paperwork.

I understand why you ask the questions though. It seems like a long time for me to not see any results, but just as the accountant got round to speaking with me and getting a grasp of what they needed to do, they left...then the cycle started again.
                Did you provide everything they would have needed?

I'd still recommend you give them a chance to sort out things right before your jump ship, as there may have been a reason for the upheaval and they may think that they're waiting on you to provide something. Email your contact and give them a complete list of what is outstanding and what you need, and when you need it by (be reasonable and don't just give an arbitrary "tomorrow afternoon by 5pm"). Ask them to acknowledge your request and ask them to confirm the time frame is reasonable. That then gives you a deadline to work to, and you can then get grumpy if it's not met. It also gives you both the chance to confirm (or deny) in writing what is expected.

If you still don't get anywhere, make a formal complaint to the big cheese. They may compensate you for the annoyance, or may not. You can then make a decision on whether to leave them, perhaps after getting quotes from different firms for the work that needs to be done.

If you really want to make a complaint to a higher power then check if they are regulated by the ICAEW or ACCA or similar. Generally they would only react if it's a case of negligence or similar though, not a simple fee dispute.
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Definitely talk to your accountants. You've paid them the money so engage with them and get them to do the work!
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                  X