• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional Indemnity Insurance

I am currently negotiating a contract and the company offering me work are asking that I have Professional Indemnity insurance of £5m. All the websites I have looked at only offer cover to £2m. Is £5m excessive and do you know anyone who can offer reasonable priced cover on £5m.

Thanks
    Millwall
    "No one like us, we don't care"

Originally posted by Millwall
    I am currently negotiating a contract and the company offering me work are asking that I have Professional Indemnity insurance of £5m. All the websites I have looked at only offer cover to £2m. Is £5m excessive and do you know anyone who can offer reasonable priced cover on £5m.

Thanks
    They're taking the piss. Get them to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
      They're taking the piss. Get them to pay for it.
      Agreed £5M is way above the norm. What is it you're doing for them to require that much cover?

Comment

They are a software company and I am just going to their clients training, setup, implementation, data conversion, project management etc.
        Millwall

Comment

£5M

Crikey. When I started it was £100K and then up to £1M.

A proper indemnity for £5M is going to be costly. Maybe a grand or more a year.

Comment

I have come across these clauses before, its mega money to get 5 million, and one or two providers do this at a premium(but they are the S*i*e ones too!). As in everything it is up for negotiation. If you put forward that you have 1 million in cover, they are likely to accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              £5M

Crikey. When I started it was £100K and then up to £1M.

A proper indemnity for £5M is going to be costly. Maybe a grand or more a year.
              When I started, and for most of my career, it was unknown. Now it's being bid up, because it costs nothing to the guy who specifies it.

Get them to pay, see how much they think is needed.

Comment

Not an expert here this is just an opinion.

Most of us have been working with 1M cover on projects paying 100K. That seems a reasonable markup on what we produce. If I cock up then it is possible that recovery will cost that, more if it reaches production and brings the aircraft down.

Would it not be reasonable to therefore ask for 500K payment for a project worth 5M?
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Millwall

Thanks
                  Prosperity4 gives you £5m Proffesional Indemnity insurance.

Come on lets here it...................................
                  Last edited by Money Money Money; 8 August 2006, 14:30.
                  l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money
                    Prosperity4 gives you £5m Proffesional Indemnity insurance.

Come on lets here it...................................

Do you use Prosperity4? Do you recommend them?

EDIT > A thread search brings up not very encouriging results about P4
                    Last edited by Millwall; 8 August 2006, 14:52.
                    Millwall

Comment

Working...
                    X