• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract of the day - its voluntery [sic]

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract of the day - its voluntery [sic]

Greetings,

Stumbled across this earlier

Virtual Instructional Designer Volunteer - Cheltenham Gloucestershire - November-05-2013 (DEcKj)

Is this some kind of insane experiment to see if they can get people to work for free, or worse pay for the privilege of working? Doesn't read as any kind of charitable mission or suchlike.

At, say, 50 quid an hour thats 12 grands worth of "goodwill" they want from some eejit.

Tell me I'm missing something here?!

Did you actually read it?

Ok it being free might hurt the pocket but bear in mind it only asks for some work experience it is targeted at fresh grads or new work starters. It's flexible and you are free to come and go. Overall if a fresh grad is having trouble getting work experience on their CV or get in to an industry this looks like a pretty attractive to me. Look at the news

A fifth of graduates are unemployed or in unsalaried or low-paid posts six months after leaving university, official figures reveal.
    Fifth of university leavers are unemployed or in low-paid jobs six months after leaving | Mail Online

If your stuck in that situation then I can't see how this is a bad thing at all. I can't really tell from the advert if they are looking for staff that might actually help the company or it is some kind of free/sponsored further education thing... still, better than stacking shelves at Tesco... which looking at this you could still do.

EDIT : Thinking about it when my lazy eldest returns from Uni in a couple of years thinking he is going to grace our sofa for 10 hours a day living on the bank of dad I would haul his ass down to one of these in a heartbeat!
    Last edited by northernladuk; 6 November 2013, 01:38.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Ok it being free might hurt the pocket but bear in mind it only asks for some work experience it is targeted at fresh grads or new work starters. It's flexible and you are free to come and go. Overall if a fresh grad is having trouble getting work experience on their CV or get in to an industry this looks like a pretty attractive to me. Look at the news

Fifth of university leavers are unemployed or in low-paid jobs six months after leaving | Mail Online

If your stuck in that situation then I can't see how this is a bad thing at all. I can't really tell from the advert if they are looking for staff that might actually help the company or it is some kind of free/sponsored further education thing... still, better than stacking shelves at Tesco... which looking at this you could still do.

EDIT : Thinking about it when my lazy eldest returns from Uni in a couple of years thinking he is going to grace our sofa for 10 hours a day living on the bank of dad I would haul his ass down to one of these in a heartbeat!
      Maybe your son could teach you some basic literacy skills in return for bed and board.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Maybe your son could teach you some basic literacy skills in return for bed and board.
        I just tell myself it is the message that is important

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I got as far as "This is a voluntery position"...
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            It's not aimed at the likes of us as it has these words in it:

All work very smart, presentable and extremely professional
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              Ah, but their deliberate misspelling got it past your keyword filter. Cunning buggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Ah, but their deliberate misspelling got it past your keyword filter. Cunning buggers.
                An excellent pot but that is such a clever/cunning ploy I have a feeling it would be way beyond most agents

Comment

Originally posted by monkfish View Post
                  Greetings,

Stumbled across this earlier

Virtual Instructional Designer Volunteer - Cheltenham Gloucestershire - November-05-2013 (DEcKj)

Is this some kind of insane experiment to see if they can get people to work for free, or worse pay for the privilege of working? Doesn't read as any kind of charitable mission or suchlike.

At, say, 50 quid an hour thats 12 grands worth of "goodwill" they want from some eejit.

Tell me I'm missing something here?!

I can think of two educational companies in Cheltenham doing this kind of work. The first is a small set up in the centre that was run by some really nice people. They wanted me to come on board and were very honest about the budget (which was low) and so i didn't end up working for them. I did recommend a friend who was starting out as a contractor though and he ended up working for them for a bit. Loved it too.
                  The other place is a charity and they occasionally have this kind of thing advertised. Thing is they DO have the money to pay better, but they just choose not to.
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                    I can think of two educational companies in Cheltenham doing this kind of work. The first is a small set up in the centre that was run by some really nice people. They wanted me to come on board and were very honest about the budget (which was low) and so i didn't end up working for them. I did recommend a friend who was starting out as a contractor though and he ended up working for them for a bit. Loved it too.
                    The other place is a charity and they occasionally have this kind of thing advertised. Thing is they DO have the money to pay better, but they just choose not to.
                    Why pay when you can get some naive sap to do it for free?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X