• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching Umbrella Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Umbrella Companies

Urgent help needed.

I have been with an umbrella company for a number of years and had a perfectly satisfactory working relationship with them. They respond immediately to any request and have helped in times of drought.

To day I have taken a contract that until we were sorting the final T's & P's I suddenly find they have a P S L arraignment and I'll have to work from a selected list of accountant's They recommend. I cannot use my every day XYZ while this contract is live. I have tried to use one of these PSL's before, but it was pointed out by this agency that this is company policy and helps us to look after the contractor. However doing this as I have tried to use one before, I am the one that looses out, big time.

Right now I cannot afford to say no to this contract so will have to change to one of these useless web based accountants (sorry call center operatives) before I get to sign the contract. However the point is - What are the contractors rights in this and can we be forced to use a web based non accountancy company for the connivance of the contracting agency?

Why is it not my free will to use who I want? and why am I being told "we are part of the ABC group who are FTSE 100 so we have to use these PSL's for auditing.?

Any reason why, if you've been contracting a number of years, you haven't gone limited?

I guess if you want the contract, and the agent won't budge, then you're stuck.

Comment

I feel you pain I got caught exactly the same way in june, I am still dealing with the fallout, in theory it shouldn't happen but in real life it does.

I now check which brolly the agent uses before pursuing a role. if it is one of the mega muppets I cross them off my list.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Any reason why, if you've been contracting a number of years, you haven't gone limited?

I guess if you want the contract, and the agent won't budge, then you're stuck.
        Ex Wife got me into a whole load of nasty stuff with the TAX man, took me years to get out and I have stayed umbrella since.. Although It's worth thinking about..

Comment

Unfortunately you don't really have any rights as it is the agency's choice whether or not to offer you the contract and if you refuse to use an umbrella company on their PSL they may well choose to do this unless your skills are rare and highly sought after in which case you may be able to persuade them to let you continue to use your chosen company. However, if you do have a bad experience with an umbrella company on their PSL make sure that you give feedback to the agency - PSL's are reviewed regularly and a company that doesn't offer good service to contractors will probably find themselves replaced.
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Edenman View Post
            Why is it not my free will to use who I want? and why am I being told "we are part of the ABC group who are FTSE 100 so we have to use these PSL's for auditing.?
            Start up your own limited company and you can avoid this issue.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Urgent help needed.

I have been with an umbrella company for a number of years and had a perfectly satisfactory working relationship with them. They respond immediately to any request and have helped in times of drought.

To day I have taken a contract that until we were sorting the final T's & P's I suddenly find they have a P S L arraignment and I'll have to work from a selected list of accountant's They recommend. I cannot use my every day XYZ while this contract is live. I have tried to use one of these PSL's before, but it was pointed out by this agency that this is company policy and helps us to look after the contractor. However doing this as I have tried to use one before, I am the one that looses out, big time.

Right now I cannot afford to say no to this contract so will have to change to one of these useless web based accountants (sorry call center operatives) before I get to sign the contract. However the point is - What are the contractors rights in this and can we be forced to use a web based non accountancy company for the connivance of the contracting agency?

Are you sure you mean accountants??
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Technically they are giving you financial advice. They're probably not licensed to do so, but if you really want the contract your stuck.
                If you kick up a fuss they'll probably give it to someone else....

Comment

It probably makes it easier for them, and also they probably get a kick back from directing work to the umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    It probably makes it easier for them, and also they probably get a kick back from directing work to the umbrella.
                    I have been up to London to see them today, definitely a kick back involved. Just let it not be at my expense.

Comment

Working...
                    X