• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theresa May plans new powers to wipe Luton off the map

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa May plans new powers to wipe Luton off the map

Theresa May plans new powers to make British terror suspects stateless

That'll teach these terrorists going to the european court of human rights. If you're not a member of the state your ass belongs to me. Crafty.

Theresa May plans new powers to make British terror suspects stateless

Theresa May
    Theresa May plans to strip British terror suspects of their citizenship and take away their UK passports even if it leaves them stateless, Whitehall sources have confirmed.

May wants to bring in legislation allowing the removal of a UK passport from any terror suspect whose conduct is "seriously prejudicial to the interests of the UK", in a move designed to make it harder for them to return to Britain if they travel abroad.

The home secretary already has the power to take away British citizenship from those with dual nationality, and since taking office May has confiscated the UK passports of 16 individuals alleged to have links with terror groups.

She has repeatedly said that a UK passport is a "privilege, not a right". Whitehall sources have reportedly said May believes it cannot be right that a person who has enjoyed the benefits of becoming a UK citizen should keep their passport if they act in a way that is "totally at odds" with British values.

The Financial Times reported that May had asked officials to find a way of overturning international human rights conventions that prevent individuals with only one citizenship from being made stateless. The necessary change to the law could be enshrined in an amendment to the immigration bill now going through parliament.

Human rights campaigners criticised the move, saying it legitimised the tactic of states such as Zimbabwe of using statelessness to clamp down on political dissent.

MPs are preparing to question Charles Farr, the Home Office's head of counter-terrorism, over the disappearance of a terror suspect, Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed, who was subject to surveillance measures.

May is reported to have promised to impose tougher restrictions on suspects under the terrorism prevention and investigation measures, known as Tpims.

Eight British terror suspects are on Tpims. It is unclear how the new powers might be used to make it easier to deport them as few countries are willing to take a stateless terror suspect.

The powers may prove useful to the Home Office in cases where the suspect has already travelled abroad to prevent them returning to Britain, but that raises issues about how they were able to leave the country in the first place.

Labour's shadow immigration minister, David Hanson, said: "Theresa May needs to concentrate on stopping people absconding in taxis, not suggesting legislative change that will have little immediate impact.

"These suggested changes could take years, will be legally questioned and won't help with the six terror suspects being allowed off terrorism prevention and investigation measures in two months' time."

The Home Office said the government would take "all necessary steps to protect the public", including pursuing deprivation of citizenship "where appropriate".

Last month the supreme court ruled against an attempt by the Home Office to revoke the British citizenship of an Iraqi refugee, Hilal al-Jedda, who was given asylum in Britain in 1992.

Jedda was accused of plotting atrocities against coalition forces after returning home during the Iraq war. Home Office lawyers argued that he could apply to have his Iraqi nationality restored, but the supreme court declared that making him stateless was illegal.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Dangerous.

Laws intended to counter terrorism are used by local councils to spy on people.

If at some point the government decides that you are causing too much bother i.e. Dr Kelly, instead of topping you they will just strip you of your British passport.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

note the use of the word "suspect". They ain't even convicted and she's treating them as if they are guilty. nice. Next up - Driving whilst bearded.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I know a few things perhaps I shouldn't about the anti terror capabilities stored in Luton and a nearby Air Force base. It is reassuring. If it kicks off, Luton would take a good shoeing.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Not actually going to happen. Just a good headline for the Daily Mail. Kneejerk reaction from outraged leftie's merely reinforces another cynical Tory marketing exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            note the use of the word "suspect". They ain't even convicted and she's treating them as if they are guilty. nice. Next up - Driving whilst bearded.
            Terrorists, Morris Dancers, Liberals, Hipsters, Dave Lee Travis...

What's not to like about banning beards ?
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I don't think she's really thought this one through. Take their passport away, pack them off to another country who refuse entry as they have no valid passport and they're back to Britain who won't let them in due to no valid passport so you'll have airports full of suspected terrorists thinking they're Tom Hanks. Maybe not giving them a passport in the first place? Perhaps she should remember the old adage as well "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer."
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                I don't think she's really thought this one through. Take their passport away, pack them off to another country who refuse entry as they have no valid passport and they're back to Britain who won't let them in due to no valid passport so you'll have airports full of suspected terrorists thinking they're Tom Hanks. Maybe not giving them a passport in the first place? Perhaps she should remember the old adage as well "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer."
                They will all end up in Russia or Chile.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                  Not actually going to happen. Just a good headline for the Daily Mail. Kneejerk reaction from outraged leftie's merely reinforces another cynical Tory marketing exercise.
                  Could be. Another poll by Mark Textor and Lynton Crosby - kind reminds of the "go home" vans. And, of course, another ploy to take over some of UKIPs territory. Mind you I don't think they'd go this far.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I'd vote Tory if they did nuke Luton, it would be a good first warning

Well it worked for Vlad the Impaler...
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X