• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day 53: How to deal with an eager beaver

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 53: How to deal with an eager beaver

New contractor started yesterday on the UI design team.

As the person who is responsible for UI development I am going to have to deal with this individual rather a lot.

After introducing himself yesterday, this is what happened:

<pulls up chair and sticks his head right in my screen>

"let's see what you're doing then"...

Hmm...

"I can rework that for you by putting a containing div round all that"...

"no you can't because...."

<rubs hands together>

"hey, how about we do a bit of pair programming and thrash this thing out"

"no but thanks for the offer etc..."

And I had settled into quite a nice routine until he arrived.

Incidentally, how prevalent is pair programming? I couldn't think of anything worse. My desk space is my personal space and I don't want to share it.

Imagine a long drive down on Monday morning, you feel like crap and you have to spend the day bunked up at a desk with someone else... F that.

Maybe he just started, found he doesn't have a login, PC, desk, etc, and is eager to start doing some work.

Comment

How long is your notice period?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        Maybe he just started, found he doesn't have a login, PC, desk, etc, and is eager to start doing some work.
        Yes, too eager and I don't want him at my desk.

Comment

Oh dear ™

You need to man up. Grab this slimy little oik by the joy department and stare him straight in the eyes and say "Listen sonny, I was putting things in divs while you were still sitting in your own tulip!"

<swagger>

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
            New contractor started yesterday on the UI design team.

As the person who is responsible for UI development I am going to have to deal with this individual rather a lot.

After introducing himself yesterday, this is what happened:

<pulls up chair and sticks his head right in my screen>

"let's see what you're doing then"...

Hmm...

"I can rework that for you by putting a containing div round all that"...

"no you can't because...."

<rubs hands together>

"hey, how about we do a bit of pair programming and thrash this thing out"

"no but thanks for the offer etc..."

And I had settled into quite a nice routine until he arrived.

Incidentally, how prevalent is pair programming? I couldn't think of anything worse. My desk space is my personal space and I don't want to share it.

Imagine a long drive down on Monday morning, you feel like crap and you have to spend the day bunked up at a desk with someone else... F that.
            So you don't play nice with others, bit of a loner really, not able to communicate with people socially?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              So you don't play nice with others, bit of a loner really, not able to communicate with people socially?
              Zoco is MF and I claim my 5000 free bogus air miles.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Zoco is MF and I claim my 5 is it too early for champagne threads.
                FTFY
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                  Yes, too eager and I don't want him at my desk.
                  Why not? He could save you time and effort.

If he sits on your lap and types then all you need do is look over his shoulder and work the mouse.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    I can tell that he's determined to make his mark by pulling apart all my meticulously implemented JavaScript for that reason alone.

That really wouldn't make me very happy....

Comment

Working...
                    X