• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

secutiry here to stay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

secutiry here to stay?

I first flew in 1973. I walked straight on the plane at Heathrow: there was no security check. Not long after, the PLO invented ransom hijacking and used it at Heathrow. Security checks came in and have been with us ever since.

Nothing but your wallet with passport and ticket. Is that going to be with us on every flight from now on?

I think they no longer have an alternative but to keep no-liquids and nothing else policy because all terrors cells around the world now know that it can be done.

Comment

I think it will to a certain extent.

As a businessman travelling with a laptop, I would be sweating slightly knowing that my insurance company may not cover the equipment and that the data may be compromised. Also, the dodgy baggage handlers must be rubbing their greedy hands in glee.

Also, for a long haul flight, how bored are you going to be with nothing to read etc

Cue trolley dollies running up and down the aisle all flight with mini WH Smith consumables.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I am sure they will allow books on board - they can be XRays easily and can be shown to have or not to have anything dodgy in them.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          I think they no longer have an alternative but to keep no-liquids and nothing else policy because all terrors cells around the world now know that it can be done.
          I'm not suggesting for a moment that there's anything wrong with the security operation. I'm just speculating about the difference it might make.

Comment

Think about the upside, getting on and off planes is going to be a heck of a lot faster now since you wont have to wait for all those feckers with 10 bags each to get out of the way!

And anyone know what they are doing with duty free? Can you still buy or is everything shut since you cant take anything on board with you?

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              I'm just speculating about the difference it might make.
              Well for me its a bit of a bummer because I am used to putting most heavy stuff (books) into my hand luggage and I am certainly not very keen at handling of my laptop in Russian airports, but I can't see any alternative - anything that can be used to detonate a bomb (electronic equipment) is likely to be banned forever, they will probably have to ensure electric sockets on board are also disabled.

No fluids is definately going to stay, unless they put in place much more advanced explosive detectors, but even so - complete lack of fluids on board will give peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                I am sure they will allow books on board - they can be XRays easily and can be shown to have or not to have anything dodgy in them.
                The problem with books especially thick ones is that it shows on the handluggage xray as dense organic material - as does plastic explosive.

It's generally obvious what it is but I reckon from now on they will have to be taken out of the bag and you'll have to flick through the pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                  The problem with books especially thick ones is that it shows on the handluggage xray as dense organic material - as does plastic explosive.
                  Well, you need good detonator for those - that's why I think no electronic equipment ban is going to stay, perhaps not this time but when first airplane goes down due to liquid stuff plus iPod you can be damn sure they will ban those. Its pretty sh1t situation to be in - the attacker can choose place, time and method, yet security has got to cover everything. Big thanks for Iraq war.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    I first flew in 1973. I walked straight on the plane at Heathrow: there was no security check. Not long after, the PLO invented ransom hijacking and used it at Heathrow. Security checks came in and have been with us ever since.

Nothing but your wallet with passport and ticket. Is that going to be with us on every flight from now on?

Did you mean: security

Comment

Working...
                    X