• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses - cancelation clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses - cancelation clause

Just agreed a new gig which is 3 nights a week away from home. Will look to book hotels well in advance with no cancellation policy to minimise costs to myltdco.

The project is based in Leeds but head office is London. Leeds is at myltdco expense London at clients expense. Time is expected to be 80/20 Leeds or WFH/London.

My experience tells me there will be times when plans change at short notice and instead of being in Leeds I'll be called to London.

My thoughts are to ask for a term in contract that if client requests change of location that costs myltdco fees for original hotel costs as no cancelation clause I will expense these to the client.

My question is do we think that unreasonable or unlikely to be agreed. What would your reaction be to that?

Depends on how much they need you.
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
      My question is do we think that unreasonable or unlikely to be agreed. What would your reaction be to that?
      Agency will tell you "no-one's ever done that before, we have to get it past legal, take our word we'll sort it out if that happens..."

Make sure it's worded properly, and see if you can put it in there - it's not an unreasonable request.

"Expenses incurred for working at location B are chargeable to the client. This includes but is not limited to travel, accommodation, subsistence and any cancellation or penalty charges arising from any accommodation already booked which is no longer required due to a change of location".

Something like that?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Gaming perchance Damon?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
          Gaming perchance Damon?
          DH / NHS?

Comment

FS is my area.

Credit card company has sold their business. I am helping the acquirer.

Will make a nice change as I normally work the divestment.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
              FS is my area.

Credit card company has sold their business. I am helping the acquirer.

Will make a nice change as I normally work the divestment.

Comment

Ask them what they want you to do - prebook rooms with a cancellation fee or make flexible bookings if they are going to change things a lot. Either way they are paying for it so I don't see how it makes a difference to the costs to your company because you are just passing the expense on to the client....
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I don't think it's an unreasonable clause to ask to be put in to be fair. I think you'd need to define what a late notice change is, i.e. is it 24 hours or 48 hours. I think the client should be made aware of what the terms are under which they might need to pay for your hotel should it be cancelled. Otherwise, you're expecting them to know what the cancellation periods are for the particular hotel you're staying at, and contractually, that might be an unfair term. So define what the cancellation period is and I think you've got a very reasonable clause.

Comment

Working...
                  X