• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BarCap? Any info / feedback.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BarCap? Any info / feedback.

Am looking at a potetntial contract at BarCap.

Hearing quite mixed reviews, probably depends on dept and manager, as usual.

Anyone here worked there and got any useful info?
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

They have a reputation for working people very hard and having quite a complex political landscape that even as a contractor is hard to avoid. Depends on team to an extent but do have high staff turnover compared to other banks.

Comment

That was my last permie role about 7 years ago; lasted 1 year.

Feisty environment, high turnover, generally younger people/management. But in the 1 year I was there I delivered more than I have done 3 years here

And no one leaves at 5pm

Comment

I believe they are considered to be quite bad to work for (have worked at other IBs but not there) but they pay well so take the money and keep your head down.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I have also unfortunately heard bad things about Barcrap in terms of hours and politics.

Those and JP Morgan are the ones that seem to come up a lot.

As you say though, these things are always very manager and team dependant.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
            I have also unfortunately heard bad things about Barcrap in terms of hours and politics.

Those and JP Morgan are the ones that seem to come up a lot.

As you say though, these things are always very manager and team dependant.
            Interesting as I have done 2 stints at J P Morgan and never had an issue, with politics or expecting 12 hour days.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Echo I did 18 months at Morgans good hours less politics than other IBS.

One of my current colleagues did a stint at barcap, wouldn't go back

Comment

Contracted there for 4 years on an off over the past 10. Got in at 0830 and left at 1730 religiously. Never had any problems and never heard any scare stories while I was there. Will go back at some stage. Never had any problems with any politics either, nor heard otherwise. Encountered the odd issue where I felt my views were being discarded as i was a contractor but not uncommon as a contractor. Guess it depends where you are (I was in OPS). Not much staff turnover either (excluding redundancies!).
                Last edited by ronanm; 21 January 2014, 15:18.

Comment

No matter what anyone says you'll be a "permie" in there. Enjoy!

Comment

Just goes to show team dependent these things are.

I had a good time at UBS but most people hate it. My current bank are a bit pants when most people speak positively about them. Everyone I know hates JP but here we have guys with a good experience.

These things are such a gamble as you never really know till you are on site.

Comment

Working...
                    X