• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mackerel fillets for tea - suggestions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mackerel fillets for tea - suggestions?

I have a couple of mackerel fillets which need eating. I've also got some left-over mashed potato. I plan to make the latter into fried potato cakes but I'm not sure about the fish. I was thinking to simply pan fry it on a high heat for a couple of minutes each side, seems like I saw this on TV once.

Ideas welcome - nothing too time-consuming though since I need to eat it quite soon
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I have a couple of mackerel fillets which need eating. I've also got some left-over mashed potato. I plan to make the latter into fried potato cakes but I'm not sure about the fish. I was thinking to simply pan fry it on a high heat for a couple of minutes each side, seems like I saw this on TV once.

Ideas welcome - nothing too time-consuming though since I need to eat it quite soon
    Pan fry, and at this the potato cake a poached agg and a bit of hollandaise.

Comment

Mackerel fishcakes loaded with horseradish.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Feed them to the cat or chuck em in the bin.

Your post kind of implies they've been hanging around a while.

I don't touch mackerel unless it's been line caught off the beach at Eypes by Mr G. It's the only guarantee of freshness. Any more than a couple of hours out of the water and it's quite rank IMO.

I seem to recall Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall mackerel fishing somewhere down in Lyme Bay - he prepared mackerel sashimi with lime juice on the back of the boat. That, I must stress, would have been ultra fresh and not the recommended recipe for those fillets you've had knocking about in the back of your fridge for who knows how long.

If you must eat them, how about currying them. With a lot of spice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          Mackerel fishcakes loaded with horseradish.
          Interesting idea, fishcakes. Cook the fish first and then knead it into the potato before frying?

I wouldn't have thought of putting mackerel and horseradish together though.

Comment

It is a classic combination if you like mackerel.

If it were springtime, the forager in me would say go out with a spade and find some wild horseradish - grate it up and make your own sauce. Be warned though if you try it - it packs a punch!

Comment

Interesting idea, fishcakes. Cook the fish first and then knead it into the potato before frying?

Keep your mash dryish and add an egg to help bind (don't forget to season). Best if shaped and put in the fridge to firm up and then flour egg and breadcrumb. BBC food have some recipes.

You'll never buy a pre-made fish cake agin!
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I have some smoked mackerel fillets as it happens; had them over a week but I think they're still good. Nice just with salad.

Fish cakes does sound good. Probably a bit too much effort for me.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I have some smoked mackerel fillets as it happens; had them over a week but I think they're still good. Nice just with salad.
                  Yeah, the smoked kind last quite a while. I like them cold with salad and crusty buttered bread, maybe alongside some smoked cheese (the kind that often comes in an orange sausage).

Comment

When I can't eat straight from the line, I'll cut them straight out of the plastic.

RS's suggestion of poached egg and hollandaise sauce sounds smashing.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X