• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to treat myself...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to treat myself...

...quite fancy one of these:

Me old Suffolk Punch has given up the ghost and my Briggs rotary ain't gonna last another season so may go for some kind of hybrid. Plus the fact I've got me nippers trampoline packed away in the shed now so am short of space.

That one above is the daddy won't get much change from a thousand nicker...

I've never used a rotary with a rear roller before - how do they compare with a cylinder? You don't have the weight for a start plus the fact you don't get such a close cut. I can live with that because I've got a lot of couch grass in my lawn now which just springs straight back up after being rolled. My only reservation with the Hayter is the lifters - they have a spring loaded link arm that is attached to a pin on the height adjustment control. Personally, I prefer a snail cam arrangement but I guess this could always be rejigged.

Off for a test ride down at Garden World on Sunday. Can't wait
    Last edited by zoco; 11 February 2014, 10:17.

Nice find - I'll need a lawnmower after I move.

I can see it's a Hayter, but what's the model number?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Nice find - I'll need a lawnmower after I move.

I can see it's a Hayter, but what's the model number?
        Here you go...

Harrier 48 Series

Comment

I quite liked Hayter but as you say the height adjustment is a bit suspect

I dumped mine and bought a Kaaz LM5360HXAR PRO 21 - Alloy deck and 5.5HP Honda engine - negatives are it's expensive & heavy - but it does give a lovely stripe to the grass
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
            ...quite fancy one of these:

Is that a gear stick on the left hand side, rear roller?

Comment

Oh - I also bought one of these
              Which is very good at completely fooking up removing the thatch from the lawn (but the collection bag is a bit too small )

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                Is that a gear stick on the left hand side, rear roller?
                I think that's the height adjustment

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  I quite liked Hayter but as you say the height adjustment is a bit suspect

I dumped mine and bought a Kaaz LM5360HXAR PRO 21 - Alloy deck and 5.5HP Honda engine - negatives are it's expensive & heavy - but it does give a lovely stripe to the grass
                  Alloy deck? Nice...

Hondas are expensive though.

I also have a steep grassy bank - don't think I could use anything too heavy on that, including the Hayter. In the past, I've used a petrol flymo on a rope as well as one of these:

Nice little 2 stroker from New Zealand. No belt drive or anything but you don't want that on a slope.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                    I think that's the height adjustment
                    Interesting, my dad has something similar (rotary blade etc.) which I get talked into using when I go there. The height adjuster is nothing as flash though. You get the lines on the lawn and it does a pretty good job.

As troll mentioned, the bag fills very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X