• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short decent contract or stick with poor long term contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short decent contract or stick with poor long term contract?

PCs contract dilemna of the day...

Current contract is poor rate, 60 miles from home. Technology is ok but not my main skill (and its the skill that generally pays less). BUT, its a nice place to work, laid back etc and chances are it will run and run.

On shortlist of 2 for another contract. 2x current rate (still not excellent rate but not bad), 30 miles from home. Main tech so good experience there as well. Know someone whos worked there and apparently its also good place to work. BUT the big but is its only for 8 weeks whilst they try to find a permie. Appreciate it sometimes takes longer but it could just be 8 weeks.

OK, so current gig I dont see myself long term and, in effect, 8 weeks new contract = 16 weeks current gig. Nothing guaranteed of course in current gig and who knows for new one but its a decision to make.

Views?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Views?
    You're an idiot.

Comment

What is the warchest like? If you have enough to handle being benched for a bit at the end of the 8 weeker it might be worth a punt otherwise I would stay with the one you have.

Although, I have no idea what you do, what the market is like, whether you have a young family etc. which are all important factors.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

PCs contract dilemna of the day...

Current contract is poor rate, 60 miles from home. Technology is ok but not my main skill (and its the skill that generally pays less). BUT, its a nice place to work, laid back etc and chances are it will run and run.

On shortlist of 2 for another contract. 2x current rate (still not excellent rate but not bad), 30 miles from home. Main tech so good experience there as well. Know someone whos worked there and apparently its also good place to work. BUT the big but is its only for 8 weeks whilst they try to find a permie. Appreciate it sometimes takes longer but it could just be 8 weeks.

OK, so current gig I dont see myself long term and, in effect, 8 weeks new contract = 16 weeks current gig. Nothing guaranteed of course in current gig and who knows for new one but its a decision to make.

Views?
        Is it really not obvious to you? Are you sure you are cut out for contracting?

Comment

Does the client not complain the amount of time it takes you to go to the loo and sit there trying to decide which hand to wipe your arse with?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            What is the warchest like? If you have enough to handle being benched for a bit at the end of the 8 weeker it might be worth a punt otherwise I would stay with the one you have.

Although, I have no idea what you do, what the market is like, whether you have a young family etc. which are all important factors.
            Ignoring the children on this thread...

Warchest was ok but is a bit low these days. The main point is I see current gig as a short-term only anyway (i was hoping to be gone by now) and it is half the rate.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Does the client not complain the amount of time it takes you to go to the loo and sit there trying to decide which hand to wipe your arse with?
              Stop NLUK. You'll confuse him more.

That'll be the next thread.

"I always use toilet paper but was recently advised to use a hand instead. I can't decide which one. Regards, Psychocandy"
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Comment

And you decided that without asking for advice ??
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X