• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy deals on wheels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy deals on wheels

If you thought Jimmy Carr getting caught out with his failed offshore avoidance scheme was funny, then check this out:

BBC - Newsbeat - Former Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles 'accepts' tax ruling

The scheme worked by allowing its members, said to include other celebrities and high-earners, to say they had incurred large fees while working in the second-hand car trade.
    More: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...cheme-scrapped

From the ruling:

- that his turnover from the trade in used cars was £3,731,
    - that he had paid an interest charge of £63, the cost of goods sold was £3,827 and he had incurred other finance charges of £1,000,000, resulting in total loss of £1,000,159.

Comment

I always thought he was an utter knobhead. Looks like I was right.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Tulip like this should be deemed as tax evasion with appropriate penalties dished out.

Comment

The tribunal said that a realistic view of the facts showed that the appellants’ aim was to make it appear, “as though by magic”, that they had incurred vast fees in order to borrow modest amounts of money they did not need in order to invest it in a “trade” they had no desire to pursue.
          You know you are ****ed when the prosecutors have to use the term 'as though by magic' as the only way they can explain your scheme.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I always thought he was an utter knobhead. Looks like I was right.
            I like him but this sure takes the biscuit. Other schemes seem to be based on some core of legal truth, this is just out and out lying.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Tulip like this should be deemed as tax evasion with appropriate penalties dished out.
              How can lying to HMRC possibly still be avoidance? It's like claiming the money you're paid is a loan when there's no intent or requirement to pay it back; it's a lie. And if you're going to lie to HMRC you may as well write a lower number on your self assessment and not arse about pretending that it's somehow legal.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Start with Amazon, google, starbucks etcetc. first.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Start with Amazon, google, starbucks etcetc. first.
                  Some much needed perspective, thank you scourer.

I take it Majestic12 is whiter than white?
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    How can lying to HMRC possibly still be avoidance? It's like claiming the money you're paid is a loan when there's no intent or requirement to pay it back; it's a lie. And if you're going to lie to HMRC you may as well write a lower number on your self assessment and not arse about pretending that it's somehow legal.
                    By calling this tax avoidance it helps to confuse avoidance and evasion, which is what HMRC want of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X