• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment tracking sheet for doing up houses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment tracking sheet for doing up houses

Anyone got or seen a spreadsheet for the financial aspects of buying and doing up houses to sell but not actual build costs in detail? Something to track all costs such as mortgage, fees, interest for time to renovate though to sale, fees and tax giving an ROI in the end? It's more to find out how much potential profit, ROI and how much to budget for the build and so on rather than track the costs of the actual renovation.

Anyone seen anything like this?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Anyone got or seen a spreadsheet for the financial aspects of buying and doing up houses to sell but not actual build costs in detail? Something to track all costs such as mortgage, fees, interest for time to renovate though to sale, fees and tax giving an ROI in the end? It's more to find out how much potential profit, ROI and how much to budget for the build and so on rather than track the costs of the actual renovation.

Anyone seen anything like this?
    Have you tried searching?
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
      Have you tried searching?
      Goddamit, forgot the caveat on my original post. I have asked my accountant and it does appear I am not cut out for this.

All the ones I can find detail the actual costs of the build. I want to know ROI rather than track costs.

Comment

Just get a spreadsheet for building a house, then take off the costs of digging the hole and that should be about right.

I'm assuming you need it to cover every possibility, like needing walls repaired, sewerage repairs etc.
        Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
          Just get a spreadsheet for building a house, then take off the costs of digging the hole and that should be about right.

I'm assuming you need it to cover every possibility, like needing walls repaired, sewerage repairs etc.
          It's not going to be that level. Just light renovation with a contingency for a damp. Not going for a full rebuild.

The ones that factor in the actual cost of building don't go in to detail about cost to get mortgage, interest cost and tax implications after. They are more like budget trackers rather than ROI type things. Just wanted to make sure there weren't other factors I had missed. So many people talk about buy for 100, spend 20 sell for 140 and its 20k profit which is so far from the truth of the matter.

Comment

Its not really relevant to your question, but consider repairs. Eg replacing windows with dg is a repair. As such it is chargeable against Income. However if it is done before letting then it is simply part of the capital cost. There is info on hmrc as to what is repairs not improvements.

Comment

Working...
            X