PDA

View Full Version : Boomed - but not sure I want to be

psychocandy
7th March 2014, 08:24
Pity. Probably in terms of working environment and people, the best client I've ever had. In terms of rate, by far the worse.

Two weeks to go and 3 month extension offered. Should be happy I guess. Still one week notice and the guy knows I might go at any time.

eek
7th March 2014, 08:29
Pity. Probably in terms of working environment and people, the best client I've ever had. In terms of rate, by far the worse.

Two weeks to go and 3 month extension offered. Should be happy I guess. Still one week notice and the guy knows I might go at any time.

Have a :banana: . At least you have time to avoid making rash decisions. Take some time to work out what you need to do.....

Mich the Tester
7th March 2014, 08:30
Well you're damn well getting a :banana: even if you don't want it!

You know what to do; take the extension and use the time to look around. Anyway, if it's a good place to work then chances are you can put some good stuff on your CV as a result.

The Spartan
7th March 2014, 08:33

Never mind old buddy it's all about taking the rough with the smooth, besides I'm sure it pays more than most jobs in Wales ;)

Well done :banana:

hyperD
7th March 2014, 08:37
Let me be the fourteenth to give you a partial :banana:

GazCol
7th March 2014, 08:40
Are you ever happy?

Reluctantly passing you a :banana:

d000hg
7th March 2014, 08:41
This thread is full of :banana: - semis

The Spartan
7th March 2014, 08:44
Are you ever happy?

He should be because he's Welsh, but he maybe slightly English which is probably why he comes across as miserable ;)

BoredBloke
7th March 2014, 08:53
I'm in a similar position - the rate here is rubbish compared to what I'm used to - was on 450 a day in london and now on 280, but its commutable so that saves me about 100 a day. I spotted an advert for a role at this place with a similar skill set to mine and I applied. The people I work for then said that thye will increase my rate and tag an extra couple of months onto my current contract. I assumed that this extra would have been within the rate range of this other job, 320 -350 but I found out yesterday that they were planning to give me an extra 20, so still fairly low. On Wednesday I had a telephone interview which went well so I might well be offered another role today for a job that isn't commutable, but one where i could get back a couple of nights a week. The rate on the new role is not great (375) but its a fair bit more than the increased one - Ok I'll have to fund 2 nights in a hotel but I should still be pulling in 1000 a month more on this other job compared to my current one.

mudskipper
7th March 2014, 08:56
Even crap rates are better than permie rates. :banana: (Unless you're MF, of course! ;))

Platypus
7th March 2014, 09:03
I'm in a similar position - the rate here is rubbish compared to what I'm used to - was on 450 a day in london and now on 280, but its commutable so that saves me about 100 a day. I spotted an advert for a role at this place with a similar skill set to mine and I applied. The people I work for then said that thye will increase my rate and tag an extra couple of months onto my current contract. I assumed that this extra would have been within the rate range of this other job, 320 -350 but I found out yesterday that they were planning to give me an extra 20, so still fairly low. On Wednesday I had a telephone interview which went well so I might well be offered another role today for a job that isn't commutable, but one where i could get back a couple of nights a week. The rate on the new role is not great (375) but its a fair bit more than the increased one - Ok I'll have to fund 2 nights in a hotel but I should still be pulling in 1000 a month more on this other job compared to my current one.

I find this very interesting and glad I'm not alone. My rate is modest but I work from home. Sometimes I get frustrated about my rate and have to remind myself that I have a 30-seconds commute which costs me nothing. The alternative would be a 2-hours (each way) commute to London at a cost of £100. So is a cost of 4 hours and £100 per day worth an additional £150-£200 per day earned? For me, no.

psychocandy
7th March 2014, 09:05
Well you're damn well getting a :banana: even if you don't want it!

You know what to do; take the extension and use the time to look around. Anyway, if it's a good place to work then chances are you can put some good stuff on your CV as a result.

Aye. Been doing that for 3 months though!

Its a good place to work as in the people, environment, flexibility, easy going etc. In terms of stuff on CV, different but not so brilliant.

psychocandy
7th March 2014, 09:06
Never mind old buddy it's all about taking the rough with the smooth, besides I'm sure it pays more than most jobs in Wales ;)

Well done :banana:

Aye. By far. Its not in Wales BTW - I am an international commuter. :nerd

psychocandy
7th March 2014, 09:06
He should be because he's Welsh, but he maybe slightly English which is probably why he comes across as miserable ;)

No way matey. Valley commando me.

NickFitz
7th March 2014, 09:09
Better than a crap rate and a place you can't stand! :yay: :banana: :yay:

Mich the Tester
7th March 2014, 09:12
Aye. Been doing that for 3 months though!

Its a good place to work as in the people, environment, flexibility, easy going etc. In terms of stuff on CV, different but not so brilliant.

Well, my rate went up and up until the 'Great Banking Bugger Up' (TM) and have gone up and down since, and at the moment I'm on an OK but not brilliant rate working largely away from home, but enjoying the work and the people at clientco, so I look at it this way; contracting is no longer a passport to a high income, a new flash car on the business and meals out in the best restaurants, but it still gives me variety and the pleasure of knowing I don't have a boss. Some contracts pay very well indeed, some don't but the people and the work are great, occasionally the two are combined, and occasionally it can be tulip on a tulip rate, but I think through experience I've got better at detecting the last category and turning them down.

curtis
7th March 2014, 09:18
In these situations the money may not be great but just enjoy the fact your at a decent place. I've worked at enough places with bad managers, staff, enviroment, commute etc which has annoyed/frustrated me. So make the most of the break from it thats how I would look at it.

You have a weeks notice so can keep looking over those 3 months for another one that may suit better for money. You are in an ideal situation really.

The Spartan
7th March 2014, 09:25
Personally up to now I've been a rate whore and that's led me down here to the city where I'm on the best rate I've ever had, but I don't plan on being here forever and would gladly cut my rate to work from home or closer to home. It does however help that the role here involves the thing I love most (test automation) and the client are one of the best I've had, eventually when I've built up a good enough reputation here (London) I'll insist on being able to work from home, well that's the plan.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
7th March 2014, 09:44
So really it is more of a semi Doomed than a Boomed.

woohoo
7th March 2014, 09:49
Enjoying a contract nearly always trumps crap rates for me, which is lucky as I'm on a crap rate. So here is a bloody :banana:

Ticktock
7th March 2014, 09:52
As all have said - a crap rate is better than no rate, and at least you like working there. And it's great that they want to keep you on!

Congrats. :banana:

psychocandy
7th March 2014, 10:49
I think I'm gonna cry :hug:

Hang on NLUK will be on here soon telling me to 'grow a pair' lol

northernladuk
7th March 2014, 10:52
Moan if client is crap, moan if you don't get extensions, moan moan ******* moan.

Have a grey banana for being such a miserable bastard.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx219/SmilyMan/Gray_animated_dancing_banana_by_Jeg.gif

vetran
7th March 2014, 11:00
I find this very interesting and glad I'm not alone. My rate is modest but I work from home. Sometimes I get frustrated about my rate and have to remind myself that I have a 30-seconds commute which costs me nothing. The alternative would be a 2-hours (each way) commute to London at a cost of £100. So is a cost of 4 hours and £100 per day worth an additional £150-£200 per day earned? For me, no.

this for me, why I stay a permie here.

if it were that or the bench I'd be happy there.

have a bannana and smile you are still earning in the top 10 percent!

:banana2:

kal
7th March 2014, 11:08

I commute from London to Birmingham, mainly because there is little or no contract work close by and what there is pays peanuts. Agree its a long day, don't know where you live but £100 a day seems a lot for a regular daily commute to the big smoke, my rail pass works out to ~ £40 a day for the Virgin Main Line into Euston, granted if I bought a single ticket to travel at peak time it would be £82(!). I earn double what I would do looking at local rates so even allowing for commute costs I am still several thousand pounds a month better off.

Mich the Tester
7th March 2014, 11:13
Moan if client is crap, moan if you don't get extensions, moan moan ******* moan.

Have a grey banana for being such a miserable bastard.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx219/SmilyMan/Gray_animated_dancing_banana_by_Jeg.gif

A grey and very low resolution banana; a bit miserable yourself today?

northernladuk
7th March 2014, 12:36
A grey and very low resolution banana; a bit miserable yourself today?

I wasn't until I read PC's post. It's not low resolution, its retro cool!

At least he got a banana. Worst boomed post I have ever seen so it was borderline.

Alias
7th March 2014, 13:12
:banana:

psychocandy
7th March 2014, 14:43
Well not so bad. In 20 mins as like every other friday Im out the door.

Permie manager out the door on a friday come hell or high water at 2-30pm normally. #countryclubhere

NorthWestPerm2Contr
7th March 2014, 14:57
Well not so bad. In 20 mins as like every other friday Im out the door.

Permie manager out the door on a friday come hell or high water at 2-30pm normally. #countryclubhere

So really you are on holiday? that's hardly a Boomed is it? Time to get a job?

MyUserName
7th March 2014, 15:05
Much better to try to find a new contract on a higher rate whilst you have cash flow coming in!

:yay::banana::yay:

greenlake
7th March 2014, 20:01
Two weeks to go and 3 month extension offered. Should be happy I guess.

http://lakenormanlivingnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Chiquita-Banana-Photo-by-alibree1.jpg

MPwannadecentincome
7th March 2014, 22:17
better extended than terminated - keep invoicing!

:banana: