• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone billed US & knows VAT situtation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone billed US & knows VAT situtation

Hi

I'm UK VAT registered and recently did a weeks IT Consultancy in the US (Washington state).

I've confimred with the VAT man here that the transaction is not liable to any VAT. I simply have to record the income against this specific assignment and no VAT is liable or should be added to it.

Does anyone know if I have to add any US Sales Tax? I had some advice that said because I was UK VAT registered I was not liable to add US Sales Tax but I'm really looking for confimration of this.

The last thing I want to do is raise an invoice that has no tax added at all and for Uncle Sam to knock on the door saying you us xx% of that amount.

Thnx in advance.

No tax is needed.

You are not VAT registered over there so if you did charge VAT you would be in trouble...
    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by Lightfinger
      I'm UK VAT registered and recently did a weeks IT Consultancy in the US (Washington state).
      You should be able get an answer from here: http://dor.wa.gov/content/doingbusiness/

In principle if you have no business adress in the state then sales tax does not apply, if you do it does. However there are different rules in different state. If you were physically located in the state and have no other US address the state might rule that sales tax is due.

Whether this is even potentially in the scope of the sales tax is questionable anyway. It could be in the scope of Washington states business tax regime.

If you didn't have the right visa you could be getting into a heap of problems. If you supplied the services from the UK any applicable taxes are the problem of the client.

Comment

Visa???

Thnx for info.

My business is just me & a partner.

We have offices in the UK but none overseas - certainly not USA, so from your replies my advice was correct in that this transaction is exempt from US taxes and UK VAT.

I was interested in the comment re a Visa. We certainly didn't do anything re this. Was one necessary for a simple 5 days fixed length/price consultancy assignment?

Comment

Was one necessary for a simple 5 days fixed length/price consultancy assignment?
          Yes.

You might get away with a B-1 but if they were paying your company then it is questionable. You might need an "H" class of temporary worker.

Might be best not to find out too closely about the tax position......

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/

and

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/tem...ypes_2665.html
          Last edited by ASB; 23 August 2006, 14:28.

Comment

I was interested in the comment re a Visa. We certainly didn't do anything re this. Was one necessary for a simple 5 days fixed length/price consultancy assignment?
            Yes, very. I'm a little bit curious as to why you think you can work in the USA without a work visa. Because it's only a little piece of work? That's like being only a little bit pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by ferret
              No tax is needed.

You are not VAT registered over there so if you did charge VAT you would be in trouble...
              Indeed, since they don't have VAT!

Comment

Get an accountant !!!

This game is far to serious to do without a bl**dy good one!!!

Comment

Working...
                X