• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the cheapest way to pay sub-contractor abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the cheapest way to pay sub-contractor abroad

Hi

I outsourced some work to abroad, what is the cheapest way to pay their invoices ?
    They are outside of the EU, can only accept payments in USD.

As it stands in the moment, I need to pay HSBC a monthly fee of £6 to enable international payments, then there is a £24 fee per payment, then I would lose further 2% due to bad exchange rate.

Would something like this work and be acceptable for the accounting purposes:
    My Co HSBC GBP -> FX exchange -> Subcontractor
    or
    My Co HSBC GBP -> FX exchange -> My Co new USD account -> Subcontractor

I only need to pay 1-3 invoices max, so an easy setup preferred.

Thanks
    Last edited by Lumiere; 18 March 2014, 11:18.

Paypal?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Paypal?
      That would be the easiest, but I though the money should come out of the company bank account ? I can't just transfer money to my personal paypal and pay the company invoice from there, or can I ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
        That would be the easiest, but I though the money should come out of the company bank account ? I can't just transfer money to my personal paypal and pay the company invoice from there, or can I ?
        Why not? You could also open a company paypal account...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Western Union?
          FTFY?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            FTFY?
            I know enough scare stories over the years that I would never recommend them

Comment

Just checked, it looks that they can't receive money on paypal there, only send.

Comment

Are you sure it's £24 per international payment? I paid £17 to send money to Russia.

If you are sending multiple payments per month, you could sign up for HSBCnet instead of using online banking. Instead of £6/month it's £15 but your fees on each payment are lower.

You could also look at using a different bank, just for this stuff, as the fees vary quite a bit.

What I prefer to do is try to make sure payments are at least $400, preferably $1000+, since the fees are the same. It's really an unavoidable cost of business and I can't be bothered mucking about with 3rd-party providers other than PayPal.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Don't want to be rude but why the hell didn't you sort this out BEFORE you outsourced the work?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                    Set up a business PayPal account. Or just accept that you're going to lose a few hundred quid in charges - that's the cost of doing business I guess. Presumably you're still making a decent margin on the sub-contracted work or is it really that tight?

Comment

Working...
                    X