• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fill up the pension?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fill up the pension?

"Mr Osborne says that if people choose to take their pension pot early, instead of 55%, it will be taxed at a normal marginal tax rate - typically 20%."

And,
    ""We will legislate to remove all remaining tax restrictions on how pensioners have access to their pension pots. Pensioners will have complete freedom to draw down as much or as little of their pension pot as they want, anytime they want. No caps. No drawdown limits. Let me be clear. No one will have to buy an annuity.""

Time to stash more in the pension perhaps?
    Last edited by Smartie; 19 March 2014, 13:35.

So the governmane has run out of cash and decided tomake Pensions and Isas look prettier .... cant you see what will follow ....

remain diversified IMHO

Comment

Wasn't arguing against diversification, but this change makes pensions a much more flexible vehicle in my mind.

With an ISA (NISA now), you invest from taxed income. With a pension you have tax relief on the money going in.
      Taking the money out of a pension is now vastly easier and I'll probably increase my contributions because of this.

No-one knows what changes will be made in the future - you can only act on what you know now.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
        Wasn't arguing against diversification, but this change makes pensions a much more flexible vehicle in my mind.

With an ISA (NISA now), you invest from taxed income. With a pension you have tax relief on the money going in.
        Taking the money out of a pension is now vastly easier and I'll probably increase my contributions because of this.

No-one knows what changes will be made in the future - you can only act on what you know now.
        If I was <10 years to retirement it would be more attractive, as I am not, it is not

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
          If I was <10 years to retirement it would be more attractive, as I am not, it is not
          Good for you. I'm not there yet either but it comes up faster than you expect ;-)

Comment

I am topping up my pension, about to max for this year to £50k, with a big topup.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Good for you. I'm not there yet either but it comes up faster than you expect ;-)
              Its not about faster than you expect it is about tweaking your risk profile as you near retirement

Comment

So the governmane has run out of cash and decided tomake Pensions and Isas look prettier .... cant you see what will follow ....

remain diversified IMHO
                Yes, I think a few people are of the mindset "if it seems too good to be true...".

I'm 32 now. Pension rules get changed radically quite frequently. Making big decisions on what I put in now based on current rules for taking out is potentially a bit premature.

...but yes, if we put cynicism to one side, I think the new rules do look good for the majority.

Comment

Its not about faster than you expect it is about tweaking your risk profile as you near retirement
                  Easily done within a SIPP. You can 'tweak' all you like, but taking £15k out of the company to put in an ISA for retirement savings rather than making a company pension contribution is currently not an attractive option

Comment

Easily done within a SIPP. You can 'tweak' all you like, but taking £15k out of the company to put in an ISA for retirement savings rather than making a company pension contribution is currently not an attractive option
                    I currently do well doing both and have decades to go so it makes no difference to me - best of luck with your approach

Comment

Working...
                    X