• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

pre-VAT reg VAT claim possible - under FRS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre-VAT reg VAT claim possible - under FRS?

Here is the deal.
    • Registered for VAT (01/01/14).
    • Also now registed for FRS (from Feb-Mar 2014).

We have some pre VAT-registration VAT expenses for startup goods (IT goods etc). We would like to claim the VAT back on this.

Been told by accountant that can't do this now VAT registered (in the process of filling in first VAT Quarterly return).

Have I made a boo boo - should the VAT have been claimed back prior to VAT reg/FRS reg?

Thanks,

PG
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

This page says you can...

Claim back the VAT on things bought before VAT registration | Courier Business Stuff

The good news is that you can still claim back the VAT on these pre-registration expenses even if you’ve registered under the Flat Rate Scheme (FRS).

Normally under the FRS you can only claim back the VAT on purchases of ‘capital assets’ costing over £2,000 including VAT; so as far as couriers are concerned usually just on the purchase of a van. When claiming the VAT on pre-registration expenses however you can claim back the VAT on all the purchases mentioned above as if you weren’t on the FRS. So if you were to buy your new laptop 2 weeks before you registered for VAT on the FRS then you’d still be able to claim the VAT back on it. If you bought it just after registering for VAT on the FRS you wouldn’t be able to claim the VAT unless it had cost you £1702.13 plus VAT (£2,000) or more.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This page appears to say you can as well..

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/agents/toolki...-input-tax.pdf

Flat Rate Scheme
      A business using the Flat Rate Scheme (FRS) should not generally claim input tax on its VAT
      Returns. Input tax may however be claimed on individual purchases of capital expenditure
      goods with a VAT inclusive cost of £2,000 or more. Input tax cannot be claimed on goods
      purchased for resale or to be leased, let or hired. Input tax cannot be claimed on expenditure
      which relates to work performed on a capital item, for example the refurbishment or extension of
      premises. A business which has newly registered for VAT may also claim VAT on stock and
      assets on hand at the time of registration subject to the normal rules for such claims. If a
      business using the FRS is required to account for acquisition tax on the purchase of goods from
      a supplier elsewhere in the European Union (EU) this cannot be claimed as input tax unless it
      relates to the pur

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Here is the deal.
        • Registered for VAT (01/01/14).
        • Also now registed for FRS (from Feb-Mar 2014).

We have some pre VAT-registration VAT expenses for startup goods (IT goods etc). We would like to claim the VAT back on this.

Been told by accountant that can't do this now VAT registered (in the process of filling in first VAT Quarterly return).

Have I made a boo boo - should the VAT have been claimed back prior to VAT reg/FRS reg?

Thanks,

PG
        As NLUK says, VAT can be reclaimed, providing you meet certain conditions. See the following link for details:

HM Revenue & Customs: Purchases made before VAT registration

I hope this helps.

Martin
        Last edited by Martin at NixonWilliams; 21 March 2014, 13:07.

Comment

Thanks guys, my interpetation too is that it is ok (and it surely must be ok to do so - otherwise VAT claims during registration but before VAT submission are limbo land).

Cheers, PG
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Thanks guys, my interpetation too is that it is ok (and it surely must be ok to do so - otherwise VAT claims during registration but before VAT submission are limbo land).

Cheers, PG
            As the HMRC docs say, as long as the purchases were made in the company name, you should be fine to reclaim these as you obviously weren't on the FRS at the point of your initial VAT registration (or prior to it). Obviously you still need valid VAT invoices in YourCo's name to support your claim.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              As the HMRC docs say, as long as the purchases were made in the company name, you should be fine to reclaim these as you obviously weren't on the FRS at the point of your initial VAT registration (or prior to it). Obviously you still need valid VAT invoices in YourCo's name to support your claim.
              This is probably a point most people fall foul of when setting up LTD's for the first time.

Comment

Having the invoices in the company name does help and I would certainly recommend doing that if possible. However, in most cases the expenses are pre-incorporation expenses aswell as pre-registration expenses and so this is not always possible. Just make sure you can justify the expenses as being wholly and exclusively for business.

Comment

IIRC

You can't claim the VAT on "Capital Inputs" unless it exceeds £2000.00 and is on one invoice making up that amount, if you are on FRS? So, three invoices

1. £550.00
                  2. £850.00
                  3. £950.00

Totalling £2350.00 but can't claim the VAT, due to that anomaly of FRS.
                  Last edited by Scruff; 21 March 2014, 16:06. Reason: To take the grin off NLUK's gob :)
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    IIRC

You can't claim the VAT on "Capital Inouts" unless it exceeds £2000.00 and is on one invoice making up that amount, if you are on FRS? So, three invoices

1. £550.00
                    2. £850.00
                    3. £950.00

Totalling £2350.00 but can't claim the VAT, due to that anomaly of FRS.
                    What about Capital ShakeItAllAbouts?

I don't think that is true though is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X