• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning back to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning back to contracting

Took up permanent job, as the position was good, been there for over an year, but found that things move extremely slow. No serious work assignment, too much politics, hierarchy, red tape, "performance reviews", crappy manager...

Completely fed up. I would like to return back to contracting. Unfortunately, I closed my limited company, which is now in dissolved status.

What are my options?

Start a new limited company, register again for VAT? Will there be any issue that I closed a company, and starting again within about 14 months?

I have two months notice to be given for resigning, should I start the company now itself, or should I start after leaving the job? How much in advance I should start the company before starting the contract?

Originally posted by Abster View Post
    Took up permanent job, as the position was good, been there for over an year, but found that things move extremely slow. No serious work assignment, too much politics, hierarchy, red tape, "performance reviews", crappy manager...

Completely fed up. I would like to return back to contracting. Unfortunately, I closed my limited company, which is now in dissolved status.

What are my options?

Start a new limited company, register again for VAT? Will there be any issue that I closed a company, and starting again within about 14 months?

I have two months notice to be given for resigning, should I start the company now itself, or should I start after leaving the job? How much in advance I should start the company before starting the contract?
    You can set up a company in 2 days, bank account in less than a week and VAT in about 4-6 weeks. As long as you kept your tax and other corporate affairs in order no one will care whether you open and close as often as you want (within reason).

What's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      You can set up a company in 2 days, bank account in less than a week and VAT in about 4-6 weeks. As long as you kept your tax and other corporate affairs in order no one will care whether you open and close as often as you want (within reason).
      Thanks Tractor.

Comment

There shouldn't be any issue in restarting after 14 months, all other things being equal: I've seen a lot less.

I'm assuming you didn't to a MVL or similar, in which case a restart so soon is possibly contra indicated as pheonixing?

Leave yourself as much time as you can to form a company. When you are in a hurry, sods law is that things take longer than you would like, eg banks and vat reg.

Comment

As above, a company can be set up in a very short time frame - we often get them back in less than a day. It's the VAT and bank account that take a little longer. As long as the company is set up though you're good to go, the rest can follow on.

Do go careful to not breach your contract of employment though, as many contain clauses that restrict you being a director or owning over a certain percentage of shares in another company. I know you're leaving anyway, but best to do it on good terms.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
          X