• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My newbe understanding of VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My newbe understanding of VAT

I see a job post that says 400 GPB/day.
    We make a contract, and I charge them 400+VAT.
    VAT is 20% so they pay me 480 GPB/day gross.
    In my first year, from that 20% i pay back 13.5%, keeping 6.5%.
    Let's pretend that i don't care about other taxations, my net daily rate is 426,5 GPB.

Is this correct?

Originally posted by gabox01 View Post
    Let's pretend that i don't care about other taxations, my net daily rate is 426,5 GPB.

Is this correct?
    Nope

You pay back 13.5% of £480

Comment

Flat Rate VAT Scheme Guide (FRS)
      "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Nope

You pay back 13.5% of £480
        Ahh, OK.
        So the number we are looking for is 415.2.

Comment

Ahh, OK.
          So the number we are looking for is 415.2.
          Don't forget that with certain capital assets costing over £2,000 you can claim the VAT back too
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            Don't forget that with certain capital assets costing over £2,000 you can claim the VAT back too
            How could I forget that one.
            Thanks for the hint!

Comment

Before you start a new thread asking...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-requests.html

You're welcome.

Comment

Is this correct?
                What is your trade?

Some of us are management consultants, lopping 0.5% off the 13.5%.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Also worth remembering that VAT is not and never will be your money. The bit you get back from HMRC for using the Flat Rate scheme is your reward for saving them some paper work (it helps if you think about who it was meant to help; people like small shops and pubs that have multiple line items with multiple VAT treatments. It's not actually about giving us money for free).

It's also worth remembering that the bit you get back from the FRS is earned income so is liable to CT, so you only get to keep 80% of your 6.5%.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Also worth remembering that VAT is not and never will be your money. The bit you get back from HMRC for using the Flat Rate scheme is your reward for saving them some paper work (it helps if you think about who it was meant to help; people like small shops and pubs that have multiple line items with multiple VAT treatments. It's not actually about giving us money for free).

It's also worth remembering that the bit you get back from the FRS is earned income so is liable to CT, so you only get to keep 80% of your 6.5%.
                    Also worth remembering that the flat rate surplus is intended to cover your input VAT that you can't reclaim, so your true gross profit from the FRS is FRS surplus less all unreclaimed input VAT, which is then, as you say, taxed as normal profit.

If your input VAT over the course of a year exceeds your FRS surplus you should consider coming off the FRS. Realistically most contractors should find the scheme profitable, but keep an eye on your expenses.

Comment

Working...
                    X