• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Odd serches on a credit file

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd serches on a credit file

Just checked my credit file for the first time in ages and I don't remember seeing them before but I have a couple of searches recorded by TSB on it.

AFAICR I have never applied for anything that they offer, account, mortgage, insurance, nada.

Wonder why they would nosy around? Anyone else seen this type of activity?
    Last edited by tractor; 27 April 2014, 10:45.

I've had a mobile phone company search my credit file and associate it with different addresses.

I told them to remove it and they did.

I would suggest that they have confused you with someone else.

I would get on to TSB and ask them politely "What the f*** were they are doing?" Unfortunately you have to do it properly using a data subject access request. (ICO website gives details.) The only reason to do this is if you plan on moving house, buying a house with a mortgage or remortgaging in the next 6 years it could cause problems.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I've had a mobile phone company search my credit file and associate it with different addresses.

I told them to remove it and they did.

I would suggest that they have confused you with someone else.

I would get on to TSB and ask them politely "What the f*** were they are doing?" Unfortunately you have to do it properly using a data subject access request. (ICO website gives details.) The only reason to do this is if you plan on moving house, buying a house with a mortgage or remortgaging in the next 6 years it could cause problems.
      They didn't register anything except the search and it's description was 'Administrative' I went to their web site to find an email address and guess what? You cannot contact them by email, just like all these providers, they don't publish any method of contact except snail mail or 0845 numbers. I won't be paying them to find out so I guess I will just have to write to them.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        They didn't register anything except the search and it's description was 'Administrative' I went to their web site to find an email address and guess what? You cannot contact them by email, just like all these providers, they don't publish any method of contact except snail mail or 0845 numbers. I won't be paying them to find out so I guess I will just have to write to them.
        It would definately be worth knowing what they were up to. An 'enquiry' footprint is different to an 'application' footprint on your file. AFAIK they (enquiries) are harmless - it's the CAPS (Credit Application Search) records which are recorded when you make a firm application for something.

Do you have any overdraft facility or credit cards with TSB? Could be that they were checking on the risk they're potentially exposed to with the customers they have inherited?

Or, as SE points out, it could just be linked to the wrong person in which case it shouldn't be there at all. You could also try contact the customer services teams at credit reference agencies - they might be able to tell you some more information above what is present on your file.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          It would definately be worth knowing what they were up to. An 'enquiry' footprint is different to an 'application' footprint on your file. AFAIK they (enquiries) are harmless - it's the CAPS (Credit Application Search) records which are recorded when you make a firm application for something.

Do you have any overdraft facility or credit cards with TSB? Could be that they were checking on the risk they're potentially exposed to with the customers they have inherited?

Or, as SE points out, it could just be linked to the wrong person in which case it shouldn't be there at all. You could also try contact the customer services teams at credit reference agencies - they might be able to tell you some more information above what is present on your file.
          I noticed the search on Noddle and they have a dispute button so I clicked it - they say they will get back to you in 28 days.

The search was from Feb this year and against an address that I left in 2009 (renting a flat near contract) I know the property owner went bust because I had to move out when the Official Receiver wanted possession (fortunately contract ended just before) so perhaps it is something to do with that but I cannot understand why they would search 5 yrs later.

Both searches on the same day were for a credit application and for an administrative review - perhaps someone stole my ID and applied for a cc? Hope not, think I might call their fraud line.

I just made an online complaint - they have no choice but to deal with those. See what happens.
          Last edited by tractor; 27 April 2014, 10:42.

Comment

I noticed the search on Noddle and they have a dispute button so I clicked it - they say they will get back to you in 28 days.

The search was from Feb this year and against an address that I left in 2009 (renting a flat near contract) I know the property owner went bust because I had to move out when the Official Receiver wanted possession (fortunately contract ended just before) so perhaps it is something to do with that but I cannot understand why they would search 5 yrs later.

Both searches on the same day were for a credit application and for an administrative review - perhaps someone stole my ID and applied for a cc? Hope not, think I might call their fraud line.

I just made an online complaint - they have no choice but to deal with those. See what happens.
            That does put a rather different spin on things. If it's recent activity linked to an old address it does sound more like fraud than admin or a mistaken link from another person.

Chase them up tomorrow!

Comment

No they can "lose" the complaint and then contact you 3 years later when the ICO finds out they have been doing that.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X