• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

Hello,
    I have been reading the different guides to contracting and I think I got the basic messages right.... I used to run my own company from 1995-2005 (went broke) and I have been a permy for the last year and a half.
    Now I'm thinking about moving to contracting, I have a few questions for the forum:
    - I have seen daily rates, is it common for customers to ask for overtime and pay for it? (I work 60 hours a week now....would it be similar but with additional pay?)
    - My current permanent contract has a 3 months notice.....should I resign now and apply for contracts in two months? Is it common to have agreements with employers to reduce the notice?

thanks
    Try-one

1. Only permies get paid "overtime". A daily rate does what it says on the tin. You work a day, you get paid for a day, whether that day consists of 8 hours, 12 hours, 16 hours or whatever.

2. Unless you have a God-like set of skills, it is virtually inconceivable a client looking for a contractor would be prepared to wait three months for you. As to whether you could negotiate your notice period away with your employer, well, only you can answer that question. Anything is possible and the only thing you can say with certainty in this world is that if you don't aks you definitely don't get.

Comment

Hi,
      Why is the emphasis on the "time sheets"; is that only to record how many days have been worked?
      Also, we all know projects tend to be longer than planned, so if I sign a 4 month contract and I realize that it needed 8 six months, is then when I need to start working 14 hours or have you frequently had to change scope/duration of the contracts?
      thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by try-one
        Hi,
        Why is the emphasis on the "time sheets"; is that only to record how many days have been worked?

Some advice : stay permie.
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

I had a 3 months notice at my last permie job that I left in March. Rang round the agents with a month to go. Had a couple of interviews the week before I left. Got an offer to start something the Monday after I finished work on the Friday.

It was a bit of a nailbiter towards the end, especially when you've got the trouble and strife harking on in your ear hole about maing sure you'll get the money to pay for her shoe allowance next week, but it was worth the risk.

So long as you're skills match demand, you should have no problem, especially now that the summer is over...

As for the timesheets...I refuse to sign any of the client's forms. I give them something to sign weekly that confirms how many days I will be charging for...no mention of actual times.
          Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
            So long as you're skills match demand, you should have no problem, especially now that the summer is over...
            your
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by try-one
              Hi,
              Also, we all know projects tend to be longer than planned, so if I sign a 4 month contract and I realize that it needed 8 six months, is then when I need to start working 14 hours or have you frequently had to change scope/duration of the contracts?
              thanks for the input.
              Consider what you would do if you hired a guy to fit you a new bathroom and he quoted you four months to do the job and all of a sudden he said, "well, these things always overrun so it's going to take me eight months really".

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Controller
                1. Only permies get paid "overtime". A daily rate does what it says on the tin. You work a day, you get paid for a day, whether that day consists of 8 hours, 12 hours, 16 hours or whatever.
                I disagree. If you are astute, you will ensure your service contract has a limit to the number of hours per day being contracted for, with any additional hours of service being paid for on a per hour basis. If you don't do this you risk working yourself to death or getting sued for breach of contract.
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

I disagree you back, since I'm not paid to deliver "things", I'm paid to deliver objectives. How I do it and how many hours a day I take is immaterial, as long as it is delivered on time (or preferably a bit early). Hence I charge a Professional Working Day and won't be having anything to do with hours spent or overtime - if I need overtime, I'm doing it wrong and it's my problem...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I agree with Malvolio.

Comment

Working...
                    X