• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First job

My daughter has just started her first job today as a trainee IT consultant with a small Swiss/German SAP consultancy. My colleagues wonder why she's being punished so.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My daughter has just started her first job today as a trainee IT consultant with a small Swiss/German SAP consultancy. My colleagues wonder why she's being punished so.
    So she can afford to keep you in the style you are accustom too. Simples
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Luxury!

My first job was cleaning the chicken tulip out of someone's shed!
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Mine was working for 4 different market traders putting up and taking down their stalls and clearing the waste away from the butchers wagon and fruit and veg stall all day. Long days, I'd stink when I got home, but I had 40-50 quid in my pocket every saturday, which was a ****load of cash for a 14/15 year old in the mid/late 80s.

That bought me a nice racing bike (Of which I still have the seatpost and one of the wheels. Peugeot replaced the frame when it snapped and I refitted that with modern upgraded components a few years ago, so essentially I still have it in the trigger's broom sense) a radio controlled car almost identical to the one which won the European championships in 1988 (which I recently restored to mint condition), hundreds of records and school uniform and other clothes which weren't going into holes, as my parents were too skint to pay for them on occasion. Oh, and a fry up for the family every Saturday morning. I'd ride home with sausages, eggs and bacon from the bacon stall I put up at about 6am, cook it, eat it, and ride back to work for 8 or so.
        Last edited by doodab; 5 May 2014, 11:44.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Christmas post for me, when I was in the Upper Sixth. It was supposed to be a roughly four hour shift in the morning, but on my first day I met a chap who'd been a year ahead of me at school as I was heading for the door to knock off. He explained that I was going about it all wrong, and should on no account regard the completion of actual work as a reason to stop being paid.

We went out the back door of the sorting office to a café down the road, where we had a good lunch. Then we had a browse in a nearby bookshop. Then we went back in through the back of the sorting office to clock off at the front, having added ninety minutes or so to our times.

As we were clocking off, a manager came past who recognised the other chap from when he'd worked there the previous year. He asked us if we fancied any extra hours, which of course we both did; so he took us over to the station next door, where we were now to spend our afternoons helping the chaps there.

That was a great job. We sat in a comfortable little hut on Platform 3 with a propane heater to warm it up, in the company of a bunch of real posties. Once an hour a train would come in, and we'd all go out and either chuck mailbags on to it, or chuck them off onto a trolley. While we did this, one chap would scoot through the train gathering up discarded newspapers and magazines, so we all had something to read for the next hour. Because we were also doing the morning deliveries, our shifts were long enough that we became entitled to paid lunch breaks and a tea break in the afternoon.

So for the rest of the week before Christmas I ended up getting paid for a ten to twelve hour shift, rather than the four hours I'd expected, and had to do virtually no additional work for it

Comment

My first job was collecting trolley for Presto's supermarket in Aldershot. We used to make more collecting the 10ps from abandoned trollies than we did from the wages - until the local kids caught on.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Luxury!

My first job was cleaning the chicken tulip out of someone's shed!
              And then they demoted you to tester? Ouch!
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I was a car washer. I had to be 13 and I was only 12 so I lied to get the job.

Comment

Pretty ordinary for me - paper round and golf caddy.

My son's first job was running a clandestine retail operation at school. He's left now so I can mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I was a car washer. I had to be 13 and I was only 12 so I lied to get the job.
                    Same, except for the fibbing. Well, I guess my first job was technically my paper round, but washing cars at a dealership was my first Saturday job. Loved that job, great in the summer and I did admin inside when it rained. Less fun in the freezing cold, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X