• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Status - Mobile Phone Tracking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Status - Mobile Phone Tracking

Yes, a strange one!

Just started a new contract and the company have a deal with a company that does LoneWorker protection etc.

They are asking me to put an app on my phone and give them permission to track me!

I completely agree to using a lone worker system/panic alarm for lone workers but reading between the lines, the app in my phone would run 24/7 and they can track the phone/location at any time and the app cannot be disabled (after speaking to fellow contractors with the same client)

Im not really happy on the latter part TBH, especially as a contractor, if I wanted that sort of thing then Id sign up to be on the books!!

Now, would this sort of thing come under the 'if treated like an employee with benefits and ways of working, you are classed as an employee for IR35?' banner?

Cheers :-)

Originally posted by Tomo1971 View Post
    Yes, a strange one!

Just started a new contract and the company have a deal with a company that does LoneWorker protection etc.

They are asking me to put an app on my phone and give them permission to track me!

I completely agree to using a lone worker system/panic alarm for lone workers but reading between the lines, the app in my phone would run 24/7 and they can track the phone/location at any time and the app cannot be disabled (after speaking to fellow contractors with the same client)

Im not really happy on the latter part TBH, especially as a contractor, if I wanted that sort of thing then Id sign up to be on the books!!

Now, would this sort of thing come under the 'if treated like an employee with benefits and ways of working, you are classed as an employee for IR35?' banner?

Cheers :-)
    Get a non-smartphone for work purposes.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Maybe you could install it on a prepaid phone you leave at clientco and use this only during the working day?

Otherwise, it doesn't sound good IR35-wise. I mean if clientco hired a contractor to fix the lifts, would they expect these people to use this Lone Wolf thingie or whatever it is called?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Devil is in the details with this one. If it can be argued the clients main purpose was for the safety of anyone working for them, permies and contractors alike then I can't see a problem. A bit over the top but the reasoning is sound. The purpose isn't to track your movements and control you so that argument wouldn't work. It would be an opinion based on a possibility which wouldn't stand up as long as the policies and reasoning for this is well documented IMO.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

agree with OH

prepaid, thank them formally for their concern for your employees and agree to using the phone during invoiced hours to support their excellent health & safety procedures. You understand that the data will only be used for the purposes stated XYZ (excluding hour tracking or other direction & control) and any other use would be unacceptable.

of course IANAL
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            Get a non-smartphone for work purposes.
            +1

I have one of these

The battery lasted 22 days before I had to charge it, and even when it was reporting "Battery Low" it lasted another 2.5 days
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
            X