• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Statutory Maternity Pay - Advance Funding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statutory Maternity Pay - Advance Funding

I have my own limited company of which I am the sole director and employee of. I applied for advance funding from HMRC as earnings are below tax and NI threshold. Please can anyone advise if this advance funding for SMP forms part of my turnover and is subject to Corporation Tax. Thanks

No, SMP is not part of your taxable turnover.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by MJR View Post
      I have my own limited company of which I am the sole director and employee of. I applied for advance funding from HMRC as earnings are below tax and NI threshold. Please can anyone advise if this advance funding for SMP forms part of my turnover and is subject to Corporation Tax. Thanks
      Your accountant can....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

From an accounting point of view the SMP is offset with the salary paid to the employee, as such it reduces the salary expense in the profit and loss account - Although it is not turnover, it will result in additional corporation tax being paid.

Comment

Thank you for the comments. So, it isn't included within the turnover. The majority of the salary for that accounting period was prior to mat leave and the mat pay wasn't actually paid out until after the accounting year end, although the company received the advance funding for 13/14 and 14/15 in one lump sum during 13/14.
          How does it result in additional CT being due? Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the comments. So, it isn't included within the turnover. The majority of the salary for that accounting period was prior to mat leave and the mat pay wasn't actually paid out until after the accounting year end, although the company received the advance funding for 13/14 and 14/15 in one lump sum during 13/14.
            How does it result in additional CT being due? Thank you.
            Because the maternity pay reduces the salary in the profit and loss account.

For example, if the standard salary was £30,000 per year and the maternity pay was £5,000, the amount included as salary in the profit and loss account is £25,000. The profit before tax is therefore higher and so additional CT will be due.

For the purpose of preparing the accounts the funding should be matched to the period it relates irrespective of when it has been received.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Working...
            X