• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used Norla Services?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used Norla Services?

Hi,

Having just got my first contract I am now faced with the task of finding a trustworthy umbrella company. The agent has recommended Parasol but I was trawling through the umbrellas in the Contractor UK Directory and Norla Services seems to let you keep a high percentage of your income.

I've searched the threads on here and have only found stuff about Norla Consulting and other variants on the name, but no Norla Services. Has anyone got any good / bad experiences with these guys?

I also read that Parasol had problems back in April but am I correct in thinking these have now been sorted and they can be trusted?

Any advice gratefully received by a newbie

Cheers,
    Wicksy

NORLA SERVICES LIMITED
    LEOFRIC HOUSE
    18B BINLEY ROAD GOSFORD GREEN
    COVENTRY
    WARWICKSHIRE CV3 1JN
    Company No. 05343932

NORLA COMPANY SERVICES LIMITED
    LEOFRIC HOUSE
    COVENTRY
    WARWICKSHIRE CV3 1JN
    Company No. 05612165

NORLA CONSULTING LIMITED
    LEOFRIC HOUSE
    COVENTRY
    WARWICKSHIRE CV3 1JN
    Company No. 04478271

NORLA CONSULTANCY LIMITED
    LEOFRIC HOUSE
    COVENTRY
    WARWICKSHIRE CV3 1JN
    Company No. 05479409

All the same people by the looks of things.

Norla Services seems to let you keep a high percentage of your income.
    If it involves excessive expenses then you're on thin ice.

Comment

Take a look at the link below...

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...361&Itemid=483

And please try to remember that you cannot get more money out of an umbrella than you can out of your own company...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by wicksy
        Hi,

Having just got my first contract I am now faced with the task of finding a trustworthy umbrella company. The agent has recommended Parasol but I was trawling through the umbrellas in the Contractor UK Directory and Norla Services seems to let you keep a high percentage of your income.

I've searched the threads on here and have only found stuff about Norla Consulting and other variants on the name, but no Norla Services. Has anyone got any good / bad experiences with these guys?

I also read that Parasol had problems back in April but am I correct in thinking these have now been sorted and they can be trusted?

Any advice gratefully received by a newbie

Cheers,
        Wicksy
        Norla offer an EBT offshore type arrangement - hence you get to keep a very high percentage of your money.

Avoid.

Comment

Read this thread. It was posted by one of the respected accountants who frequent the forum. The best way of doing it, if you are set on contracting is to run your own ltd co. and use a good contractors accountant. You will make more money this way and you wont have to worry about being caught up in dodgy offshore fund schemes and the like.

Once you are up and running it take about 30 mins per month to do the relevant paperwork. Your accountants fees will be less than you'd pay a brolly in admin each month.

It's one less step in the chain between you and your money. ie client pays agent, agent pays you; instead of client pays agent, agent pays brolly, brolly pays you.

It also offers the possibility of dealing direct with clients and cutting out the agents altogether.

It may seem scary to begin with but it's remakably straight forward to do.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I think ultimately I will end up setting up a Ltd, I just wanted to go with an umbrella company for my first contract to make sure freelancing is the life for me. Bit pointless spending money to set up and then fold a Ltd if I don't like it.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys.

Cheers,
            Wicksy

Comment

Good sentiment, and one I agree with. Do the sums and it's still cheaper to set up a company and close it down again, but going with the brolly is a good starter for ten - but only think about established, UK-based, simple umbrellas; anything that sells itself on "retain more income" is to be avoided on principle, and for someone who doesn't know the market and the rules it is a disaster waiting to happen.

You're still going to add 50% to your net by going freelance, if you're any good. Don't be greedy.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Currently with Norla

Hi !

I'm currently with Norla and have had problems from the outset with them.

At the time of writing this, I'm awaiting a call from them to explain why again (the second month in a row), I haven't had a payroll processed.

After multiple phone calls last month I was able to arrange payment and was assured I would be paid this month without problem - however, the lady I dealt with is conveniently on holiday and no payment is in the system or notes left to advise I was to be paid.

Be advised also, if you do go with Norla Services, dependant upon your agencies billing cycle, they may sit on your money for up to 7 weeks AFTER the invoice to the agency has been paid - the problems I'm experiencing are down to this and arranging a "dispensation" to be paid earlier for the first two months - however, both payments have slipped through the net and have resulted in me needing to make multiple phone calls.

They do offer a high percentage payout (through expenses) .. but, it is quite a bit of hassle, from my experience anyways.

I'd recommend your own ltd company option, provided you're outside IR35.

Hope this helps,
                Matt.

Comment

And remember that it's not the brolly that gets investigated by the Revenue if you claim excessive expenses, it's YOU !

You don't get something for nothing. It looks like they can offer lower overheads because they squeeze their cashflow as well as offer borderline avoidance schemes. Go limited. Even if you subsequently pack it in as a contractor, you can still use your limited to do sideline trading etc.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Now sorted..

..this time Norla had a quick turn around for sorting this issue (potentially because of last month?!) in anycase .. all sorted.

Provided you do have legitimate expenses, for me, Norla do give a good return on your money.

That said, if my contract is renewed after the initial 3 months, I'm still sorely tempted to run from my own Ltd.

Ta !
                    Matt.

Comment

Working...
                    X