• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing one contract classed as permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing one contract classed as permanent

Hi wondering if some of you nice people can clear an issue up I'm having with an umbrella company. I got made redundant from my job and went back into contracting and did one contract for 4 months as a field engineer and was offered a permanent job with another company after the contract finished so took that job up. I have now been issued a P11d form as they say as I only did one contract this is classified as my permanent place of work and all my milage I claimed is now taxable. Is this right as I have done single contracts in the past and never had a P11d form issued that I can remember.

Tried ringing HMRC but they are useless and struggled with what an umbrella company is. Any help would be really appreciated.

Originally posted by mjb1978 View Post
    Hi wondering if some of you nice people can clear an issue up I'm having with an umbrella company. I got made redundant from my job and went back into contracting and did one contract for 4 months as a field engineer and was offered a permanent job with another company after the contract finished so took that job up. I have now been issued a P11d form as they say as I only did one contract this is classified as my permanent place of work and all my milage I claimed is now taxable. Is this right as I have done single contracts in the past and never had a P11d form issued that I can remember.

Tried ringing HMRC but they are useless and struggled with what an umbrella company is. Any help would be really appreciated.
    That is correct. One workplace has to be a permanent one, the umbrella are doing it properly. Expenses are not claimable but since you've claimed them you will have to pay the tax since they count as earned income.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      That is correct. One workplace has to be a permanent one, the umbrella are doing it properly. Expenses are not claimable but since you've claimed them you will have to pay the tax since they count as earned income.
      Different umbrellas seem to interpret the rules differently.

Some interpret the rule as that the intention at the outset needs to be to have only one assignment (or you stop claiming expenses once you know it's your only assignment). In this case it doesn't sound like the OP planned to have one contract.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Different umbrellas seem to interpret the rules differently.

Some interpret the rule as that the intention at the outset needs to be to have only one assignment (or you stop claiming expenses once you know it's your only assignment). In this case it doesn't sound like the OP planned to have one contract.
        Except he did.

HTH.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If you were Field Engineering then mileage to base would be travel to the usual place of work not temporary, but the site to site stuff should be perfectly allowable.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            If you were Field Engineering then mileage to base would be travel to the usual place of work not temporary, but the site to site stuff should be perfectly allowable.
            Yep, I think the "field" engineering bit will need to be explained to the umbrella to show that its perfectly acceptable mileage even when perm...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Originally posted by eek View Post
              Yep, I think the "field" engineering bit will need to be explained to the umbrella to show that its perfectly acceptable mileage even when perm...
              Can't the OP just reclaim that via their self assessment return? They would enter the figure copied from the P11D and a figure equating to the element that they believed should be not taxed.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                Can't the OP just reclaim that via their self assessment return? They would enter the figure copied from the P11D and a figure equating to the element that they believed should be not taxed.
                They should but exempt mileage payments shouldn't even be on the P11D.

Comment

Working...
                X