• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT when contacting for UK based company providing overseas financial advisory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT when contacting for UK based company providing overseas financial advisory

Hi,

I am new to this board and new to contracting in general. I wanted to ask the question on what are my VAT liabilities as UK based based contractor for a UK financial advisory services firm that provides services purely to non-UK/non EU international clients. The UK firm does not charge international clients VAT naturally and there seemingly I as the contractor do not need to charge on my invoices to them?

thanks

Sajeev

You charge vat. It would appear to me you are making a UK supply.

The HMRC helpline are pretty helpful, get a call reference.

Comment

As ASB suggests, you should call the VAT line as they are generally very helpful. The ordinary rule for place of supply with B2B services operates on where the client is located and enjoys the services, i.e. you would charge VAT, as you are providing B2B services to a UK company, and the client would not charge VAT to their client, as their supply would be outside of the scope of VAT (assuming they have confirmed this). However, I believe the rules are different when supplying B2C services via an intermediary, in which case your supply could be outside of the scope of VAT - however, I'm not 100% certain of the B2C rules, and it doesn't appear to apply in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by Chak1981 View Post
        Hi,

I am new to this board and new to contracting in general. I wanted to ask the question on what are my VAT liabilities as UK based based contractor for a UK financial advisory services firm that provides services purely to non-UK/non EU international clients. The UK firm does not charge international clients VAT naturally and there seemingly I as the contractor do not need to charge on my invoices to them?

thanks

Sajeev
        If you're contracting TO a UK based client and are yourself UK based (Ltd I assume) then clearly you must charge VAT if you're registered. The fact that the client company is dealing with non UK customers is irrelevant in your business to business relationship with the UK based Advisory Service Firm.

Unless I've totally misunderstood the relationships it seems fairly clear to me.

Comment

Working...
        X