• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

re IR35 - I am responsible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re IR35 - I am responsible?

Haya all!! PLEASE PLEASE I would be grateful for your advice if you could!!!

I have just accepted a £450 a day contract (my 1st one!) for 220 days in London (total 99k for the duration of the assignment - starting 7th July) in order to escape from a terrible workplace!!!! I was advised to set up my own company to maximize take home pay. Having read various threads in your forum, I asked for quotes.

Whilst trying to choose between SJD Accountancy (sister company to Contractor Umbrella), Pulse and Paystream to help me set up a Ltd company, Paystream sent me the below info stating 'IR35 does apply to the way you are working and as a result, you need to ensure that you legitimately fall outside IR35'. The companies I mentioned above all claim their accountants will sort this out for me...but a friend advised me that "Even if the accountant tells you it's alright, remember it will still be you who's responsible, not your accountant, if you are ever inspected by HMRC!! " I feel pretty intimidated now and I wonder whether I should give up on the idea of setting up my own company and go for the Umbrella solution instead?? any advice will be much much appreciated!!

(in case it would help any more newbies like me!):

"You have expressed an interest in using our IR35 review service. We have set out below exactly what our service entails and instruction on what you need to do next.

IR35 does apply to the way you are working and as a result, you need to ensure that you legitimately fall outside IR35. Otherwise, you face risk of HMRC investigation and the possibility of having to pay back any under paid tax (roughly, the difference between what you have paid, and what you would have paid as a PAYE worker), plus interest and potentially fines. Although you are responsible for ensuring you are working outside IR35, our service is designed to help you assess your IR35 status and to demonstrate that you took reasonable endeavours in making the right decision.

Our service

We will review your agency ‘contract for service’ and if you have a copy, the contract between your agency and client. If you are working direct to your client, we can also review this contract. We will advise you whether the contract assists you to fall outside IR35 or whether there are weaknesses with the contract that increases your risk with IR35. If there are weaknesses, where possible we will advise you on how to improve the contract from an IR35 perspective.

We will also carry out a review on your working practices. We will advise you, based on the information you provided, whether you are working consistently outside IR35 or whether there are weaknesses. We will make you aware of any weaknesses and where possible give you practical advice on how to improve your working practices from an IR35 perspective.

In May 2012 HMRC introduced their so called Business Entity Tests which may be used by HMRC to target businesses that they wish to review from an IR35 perspective. It is based on a points system and although a medium or high risk score does not put you automatically inside IR35, it does mean that HMRC are more likely to open an IR35 enquiry against you than if you scored in the low risk category. If you want further information and to complete the Business Entity Tests, then please complete the attached form.

Instruction on what you need to do

You need to send us a copy of the contract(s) and you will need to complete our IR35 Evaluation Form, which is attached to this email. So that we can understand your working practices as much as possible, we ask that you provide detailed information. We also request that you send us the contract and IR35 Evaluation Form at the same time.

Disclaimer

The nature of the IR35 legislation is such that it is based substantially upon subjective analysis of the facts and interpretation at the time. For these reasons, you agree that our assessment and any assistance we provide on the business entity tests act only as a guide based on the facts as you have presented them to us, and that the ultimate responsibility for liabilities, interest and penalties remains with you.

Additionally, please note that the business entity tests have only recently been introduced and, while the theory behind them is clear, we are currently unsure of how HMRC will seek to apply these in practice. We cannot accept any responsibility for how HMRC may choose to test the answers that are given. "

Hi Katep

Yes, you are responsible for this, you need to make sure that your working practices show that you are in business on your own account.

Read this for an explanation:

http://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/

And then this
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...composite.html

It will help you to understand what IR35 is all about.

If you are still unsure after that I would advise that you use an umbrella for this first contract.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Go umbrella for the first few months while you find your feet and learn about LTDs and get set up. Once you are ready just switch to a limited. Might cost you a little bit extra but would be much more beneficial than messing everything up because you can't understand companies from the off.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WCS

An overview is:

If you are working on project deliverables (rather than managing / delivering a service which may complicate matters) fet your contract reviewed by QDOS or Bauer & Cottrell (much better than your contract), take their advice on working practices, act like a consultancy business and not an employee, get insurance against IR35 investigation and liabilities (e.g. via QDOS) and operate outside IR35.

It is a bit more complex than that so read the guides, TALK TO QDOS OR BAUER & COTTRELL and make your own mind up. DO NOT OPERATE VIA ANY SOLUTION THAT IS OFFERING YOU 80 to 95% TAKE HOME.

If you are contracting with central government, it is again more complex, but other areas of the public sector appear not to have these complexities.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Go umbrella for the first few months while you find your feet and learn about LTDs and get set up. Once you are ready just switch to a limited. Might cost you a little bit extra but would be much more beneficial than messing everything up because you can't understand companies from the off.
          100% this. It's what I did and I don't regret it for a second. Gave me the time I needed to learn being a contractor first, then learn being a company director.

Comment

Originally posted by katep View Post
            a friend advised me that "Even if the accountant tells you it's alright, remember it will still be you who's responsible, not your accountant, if you are ever inspected by HMRC!! "
            Absolutely right - how would your accountant know what your working practices are?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Absolutely right - how would your accountant know what your working practices are?
              Indeed, or that you've given them full disclosure. Your accountant may tell you that in their opinion you're outside, but if you've forgotten to tell them a few keys facts then that may not be the case.

As a company director you're responsible for everything - preparing and filing accounts, paying taxes, checking your status etc. You have professionals that help, for example an accountant who will prepare your tax return ready for you to sign, but you retain ultimate responsibility. If there is an error, it's still your fault in HMRC's eyes. So make sure you understand what your obligations are, how returns and taxes are calculated, and when things are due.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Yep, it comes as a shock to some clients that if we are doing a "contract" review we need a detailed working practices questionnaire first.

Perhaps the lowest point of professional life was when a client sent a PCG template, asked us to review it for IR35,

"Has your agency agreed it?"
                "Oh no, I've not mentioned it them, I just want to know if it works before I ask them"

Happily that was a good few years ago, and awareness is now better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                  Perhaps the lowest point of professional life was when a client sent a PCG template, asked us to review it for IR35,

"Has your agency agreed it?"
                  "Oh no, I've not mentioned it them, I just want to know if it works before I ask them"

"It's going to take a couple of hours, that will be £99 please"
                  "Ok here you go"
                  "It's outside IR35"
                  "Wow that was quick, what a terrific service"

Happily that was a good few years ago, and awareness is now better.
                  Holy crap. People are more aware now? I would hate to seen what it was like before!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Holy crap. People are more aware now? I would hate to seen what it was like before!!
                    Those that ask for expert advice show that they know what to look for; it's those that are oblivious and don't ask for advice that are a danger to themselves.

If HMRC ever come calling, I know of some easier targets to go for than me
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X