• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance / AA Membership and an expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance / AA Membership and an expense?

I imagine a lot of the folks here travel around in their Audi's or Merc's but I was wondering what type of Insurance do you have. And If I use my personal car for travel to work (a temporary location) can I claim AA membership also as an expense?
    Also do you need to add business insurance to travel to a temporary location? Or is it only for off site visits (e.g) moving Hardware from site to site.
    Currently I have my and my wife's car one a multi car policy with social domestic and pleasure.

I'd say no to claiming the AA membership unless it's a company car. You don't need to be a member of the AA to do your job, and you also benefit from it personally. If you did claim it there would be a benefit in kind accordingly.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Humm that's what I thought, but they says its allowable on their site?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/factsheets/ex...allowances.pdf

Allowable
      expenses

Car and van insurance,
      repairs, servicing, fuel,
      parking, hire charges,
      vehicle licence fees,
      AA/RAC membership;
      train, bus, air and taxi
      fares; hotel room costs
      and meals on overnight
      business trips.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
        Humm that's what I thought, but they says its allowable on their site?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/factsheets/ex...allowances.pdf

Allowable
        expenses

Car and van insurance, repairs, servicing, fuel, parking, hire charges, vehicle licence fees, AA/RAC membership; train, bus, air and taxi fares; hotel room costs and meals on overnight business trips.
        You aren't self-employed, so that document is irrelevant. The 45p a mile that you claim is meant to cover this.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

WTFS

If you're self employed there's no BIK, so not applicable.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

If you had tried searching first you would have found a thread in which Boo rather belligerently tried to argue you could claim and failed rather badly...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...insurance.html
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                I imagine a lot of the folks here travel around in their Audi's or Merc's but I was wondering what type of Insurance do you have. And If I use my personal car for travel to work (a temporary location) can I claim AA membership also as an expense?
                Also do you need to add business insurance to travel to a temporary location? Or is it only for off site visits (e.g) moving Hardware from site to site.
                Currently I have my and my wife's car one a multi car policy with social domestic and pleasure.
                it depends on whether you are a sole trader or not
                What is your relation to the company?
                How long is temporary? is it over 2 years or less?
                Helping Companies and Individuals

Comment

Working...
                X