• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Duplicate fuel receipt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate fuel receipt

Ok so im fairly new to self employment and my employer told me 'when getting a fuel VAT receipt, ask for a duplicate' i hand one into work and keep the other for my tax benefits but the petrol station attendant refused to give me the second copy. is she wrong?... or should petrol stations not be giving out duplicates. Thanks.

Originally posted by Micky View Post
    Ok so im fairly new to self employment and my employer told me 'when getting a fuel VAT receipt, ask for a duplicate' i hand one into work and keep the other for my tax benefits but the petrol station attendant refused to give me the second copy. is she wrong?... or should petrol stations not be giving out duplicates. Thanks.
    "Self-employment"? "Employer"?

Fresh Meat, guys, Fresh Meat....!

Comment

Originally posted by Micky View Post
      1. If you are self-employed the fuel receipt is for you for your own tax purposes.
      2. If you are self-employed you don't have an employer as you and the organisation you work for are the same entity.
      3. If you are a contractor you are not self-employed - you are either an employee of a small closed company, which you may also be the director of, or an employee of an umbrella company.

Now rethink what you wrote and try again.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        "Self-employment"? "Employer"?

Fresh Meat, guys, Fresh Meat....!
        Seriously? Can't you just answer the question or move on?

Comment

Originally posted by dty View Post
          Are you his Dad or what?

Comment

Originally posted by dty View Post
            I can't answer the question as it doesn't make sense.

I am on flat rate VAT but even if I wasn't I would only collect fuel receipts for the small closed company I work for which I'm also director off.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Are you his Dad or what?
              Yes. Yes, I'm his Dad. That's right. I happen to hang around the same forums. What an imbecilic thing to say.

I've been a member here for, I don't know, 2 months or so, and it seems to me that 90%+ of the questions that get asked are met with the sort of response you made. Now, I understand that it gets tiresome seeing the same questions which seem, to you and other "old hands" to be very basic, but the general attitude that people take to these new questions is, frankly, appalling.

It doesn't help the poster, it doesn't help the forum, it doesn't help the overall image of the forum (I've spoken to several contractors recently who say they won't partake in the forums here because of the general levels of rudeness) and it doesn't help you - it just wastes your time responding. So why not just shrug your shoulder, mutter "what a dickhead newbie" to yourself and move on. Why waste your time and theirs responding? I just don't get what you or they or anyone stands to gain.

Everybody had to start out once, and nobody knew all the answers without some help and hand holding. I realise, of course, that many of the answers can be found using Google, or reading the guides on this site and others. But, again, why not just move on instead of berating the poster?

Plus, it just makes you look like a total winker Of course, there are many worse than you - you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when I finally felt the need to speak up.
              Last edited by administrator; 26 June 2014, 10:21. Reason: No winking here please.

Comment

I agree, stek I've told you about this before, haven't I?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've never understood companies that pay for mileage expenses and also want fuel receipts to reclaim VAT, surely you're getting into iffy territory if you treat the mileage expenses as a full loss and then also reclaim VAT. I've insisted on straight mileage allowances since I saw someone get screwed over royally by HMRC for a simple fuel-card mistake back in 2000.

Comment

The garage most certainly should not be issuing duplicate receipts; it's probably fraudulent for them to do so, although that's academic.

Presuming you are working via your own company or as a sole trader, the fuel receipt is for you or your company.

Your company or you as self employed invoices on the client (which is the more correct terminology for "employer").

Get out of the habit of calling the end client the "employer" - it's a bad habit, and could cause confusion if you were ever speaking with the uninitiated or malicious (I.e. HMRC).

Comment

Working...
                    X