• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd companies stopped ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd companies stopped ?

Hi folks!

I have finished my last contract at the end of march'14 and have just started digging for a new one.

Yesterday received an email from my last recruitment agent saying:

The new government legislation has stopped applicants working as limited companies but we do have an umbrella company that might be of interest to you.

As i have been working through my ltd company for years, it is a bit shocking to find out.

Is this true? Any links? Topics on this forum?
    I am sorry if this is common question, have just registered to this forum.

Many thanks!

Is this for a public sector contract? If not then I would ask them what legislation they are talking about.

Comment

Is that all it said in the email or was there a load of preamble you've not posted?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys!

It was private sector.
        This is all I have from recruitment agency so far, asked for more details. Will repost here!

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
          Is this for a public sector contract? If not then I would ask them what legislation they are talking about.
          I can't think of any legislation that would apply to the public sector to prevent a contractor working through a Ltd.

@OP the is clearly nonsense. I would either walk away, or find out the client if of interest, and let them know what's going on. Probably the former.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Absolute nonsense - there has been a lot of new legislation passed recently but there is nothing that would prevent you working through your own Limited Company. Sounds as though the agency has misunderstood something and gone into panic mode
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I was thinking they were being utterly devious and taking contractors for a ride based on the fact they just happen to have an umbrella option available.

I don't normally do name and shame but wouldn't mind knowing who this lot are.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by padaka View Post
                Hi folks!

I have finished my last contract at the end of march'14 and have just started digging for a new one.

Yesterday received an email from my last recruitment agent saying:

The new government legislation has stopped applicants working as limited companies but we do have an umbrella company that might be of interest to you.

As i have been working through my ltd company for years, it is a bit shocking to find out.

Is this true? Any links? Topics on this forum?
                I am sorry if this is common question, have just registered to this forum.

Many thanks!
                Possibly the reference here may be to the new agency legislation effective 06 April 2014. Basically to bring the self-employeds working through recruitment agencies, this legislation introduced in Budget 2014 has the potential to attack limited companies as well. This legislation takes priority over IR35.

Comment

Do you think they've misunderstood the onshore employment intermediaries: false self-employment?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
                    Do you think they've misunderstood the onshore employment intermediaries: false self-employment?
                    Certainly sounds like it doesn't it
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X