• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard Brexit now!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSBC planning for a Hard Brexit

The package of reforms suggested last week is very, very positive," he added, referring to labor market and economic reforms proposed by the French government
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Everyone agreed it would be a messy divorce. In fact, it composed the majority of arguments from the remain side.

I always felt it would be worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I've come to the conclusion this would be the best option all round. ...
        It looks like the only outcome, and has done from the outset IMHO, unless May & co (or Corbyn & co God forbid ) completely cave in to what is sure to be the EU's total intransigence over their precious principles, especially freedom of movement (which may involve demanding the UK taking our "fair share" of millions more immigrants).
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Looks like the £ is preparing for a hard brexit n all 1.12212 against euro!

Just as well wages are rising.. but I reckon inflation will win the race.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Gloating Remainers seem to assume that any downturn in the UK would simply snowball on downhill to calamity, like medievil peasants starving in their fields with no recourse after a crop failure.

What they forget, or choose to ignore, is that the World is very linked these days and an economic dip is a buying opportunity, and the UK would be eager to allow suitable overseas investors to take advantage of that.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Gloating Remainers seem to assume that any downturn in the UK would simply snowball on downhill to calamity, like medievil peasants starving in their fields with no recourse after a crop failure.

What they forget, or choose to ignore, is that the World is very linked these days and an economic dip is a buying opportunity, and the UK would be eager to allow suitable overseas investors to take advantage of that.
              1. I don't think the result of Brexit will be calamity (although that's a possibility with no deal), simply a slow down in the economy's long term growth potential and the sidelining of the UK as a consequential power. In effect I think we'll be forced into the position of the US's de facto fifty-first state.

2. Yes overseas investors run most of our utilities, factories, and other assets. Let's have more in, especially from the US (see above)
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

It will be like the Thatcher years when life was really tough, the economy shrunk but unlike those times where Britain came through growing stronger, it will be a permanent shrinkage. So expect years of misery where nothing recovers but people simply get used to being poorer and accept it. Anyone expecting immigration to decline as a silver lining will be disappointed.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 July 2017, 20:40.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Regardless of the politics of Brexit, I find it worrying that this and previous governments refuse to consider the possibility of negative outcomes.

For example how prepared was the government of the day prepared for the Leave vote?

Completely unprepared. And the result was chaos.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Lets face it as the untold miseries of Brexit unfold and I did notice the pound dropped yet again today so shoving up inflation and making public sector employees even poorer, Brexit will get harder and harder.

Former Tory MP warns of 'terrible trouble' if MPs oust Theresa May | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Brexiteers have to ask themselves how long will employees put up with getting 2% poorer every year.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      It could be much worse - next iPhone may cost £1200+!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X