• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Okay - I was wrong on Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    80% of EU immigrants come to the UK to work, whereas only 20% of non-EU immigrants come to work. Clamping down on EU immigration whilst turning a blind eye to non-EU immigration seems somewhat counter-productive.

The fact is even after the UK leaves the EU, the population will continue to expand almost at the same rate, but the working population will shrink as they clamp down on EU immigration.
    I always wondered why non-EU immigration was allowed when it was more than EU migration. Further proof that DC was totally out of touch and only cared for himself. And to think some want JRM to take over as PM!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      The UK needs to do far more training. Until robots take over.
      I can't work out if the robot thing is either a re-run of the 1970's where they said we'd be having more lesuire time or will it be a real problem?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Also, non-EU immigrants to the UK seem to need a disproportionate amount of medical care themselves, including midwife services for the many children they typically have.
        Figures please.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Last time I was in the outpatients of Chelsea & Westminster Hospital about three years ago, practically everyone waiting and milling around there seemed to be from overseas (based on skin colour and speech).
        In the meantime in-patients is full of old mainly white men and women - well that is my experience from two different London hospitals.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Figures please.

In the meantime in-patients is full of old mainly white men and women - well that is my experience from two different London hospitals.
          Those that have paid in full?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            80% of EU immigrants come to the UK to work, whereas only 20% of non-EU immigrants come to work. Clamping down on EU immigration whilst turning a blind eye to non-EU immigration seems somewhat counter-productive.

The fact is even after the UK leaves the EU, the population will continue to expand almost at the same rate, but the working population will shrink as they clamp down on EU immigration.
            Although non-working immigrants are obviously costlier than those that work, I understand that you only become a net contributor to the UK Exchequer when you earn over approximately £38K (from memory). How many immigrants are over paid over this? Isn’t that the real question?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              I can't work out if the robot thing is either a re-run of the 1970's where they said we'd be having more lesuire time or will it be a real problem?
              In 1997 almost all cameras were analog. By 2007 almost all were digital. The robots are coming and its going to lead to real upheaval.

There are many opportunities. However, people need to work. Jackie Onassis reckoned 20 hours a week was about right.

A far bigger issue is that the ruling classes will not like their status being challenged...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Now nurses are coming out of university with little practical experience, and then nursing auxiliaries are brought in to do the "menial" tasks that are actually a big part of the caring process.
                twaddle.
                They spend a LOT of time in placement doing actual nursing. They qualify as nurses to be nurses and can do that. Health is one of the few university educations that allows you to go straight into your profession once you've graduated.

They don't change bedpans though. It was decided some years ago that menial work should be done by lower paid people and nurses should get more money. That may or may not have been the right decision, as the menial work needs doing, it's just done by thick twunts with no better education.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Although non-working immigrants are obviously costlier than those that work, I understand that you only become a net contributor to the UK Exchequer when you earn over approximately £38K (from memory). How many immigrants are over paid over this? Isn’t that the real question?
                  Why is this 'obviously costlier' to you? Many families have good financial backing and do not rely on state aid or services. The cost of them being present in the UK can be rather low; plus paying rent or a mortgage. Nil tax take isn't possible, but low tax take is feasible, keeping in mind the state services used may be minimal or, in many cases, not applicable.

I don't enjoy guessing and would prefer these statistics to be made available, then we can perform our own calculations on them. You will notice that such stats are rarely provided, as providing clarity is not something favoured these days, for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                    Why is this 'obviously costlier' to you? Many families have good financial backing and do not rely on state aid or services. The cost of them being present in the UK can be rather low; plus paying rent or a mortgage. Nil tax take isn't possible, but low tax take is feasible, keeping in mind the state services used may be minimal or, in many cases, not applicable.

I don't enjoy guessing and would prefer these statistics to be made available, then we can perform our own calculations on them. You will notice that such stats are rarely provided, as providing clarity is not something favoured these days, for some reason.
                    What's the life time cost of someone who stands on their own two feet, including any of their dependents, without any state help? I'm all for stats.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post

It does not really take a genius to recognise that someone arriving on these shores with only the clothes they stand up in will take a while to become a net contributor to the economy.

Obviously hard facts and figures are useful but a very basic thought experiment would get you to the right conclusion.

Ahh I see the problem now.

Its probably in the words basic and thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X