• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discriminating against a brexiteer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if you'd rather hire someone who is happy to blindly follow the EU project irrespective of whatever direction it goes then sure, go for it. And if you'd rather discount 52% of candidates because of your own ignorance - then go for it.

How would you handle somebody who said they would prefer not to discuss their political viewpoints in an interview (unless you were hiring someone specifically for a political position)?
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Discriminating against a brexiteer

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      So if you'd rather hire someone who is happy to blindly follow the EU project irrespective of whatever direction it goes then sure, go for it. And if you'd rather discount 52% of candidates because of your own ignorance - then go for it.
      I think he's looking for someone who is not a closed mind, but is capable of making logical decisions and not driven to make bad decisions based on hatred of foreign things.

Also, he probably doesn't want to have to pay £350million a week for them, then have them deny for 15 months that it was £350million a week, then read it in the Telegraph this week that it really was £350million a week, even after the Telegraph even said it wasn't.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        exactly this. ^^^^^

I know a handful who made a thoughtful decision and have total respect for their views.
        Only a fool would class 52% of the population as all the same. It would simply be an indicator, and considering the actual role, it would be a reasonable pointer towards the attitude of the candidate and how they will manage some potentially very difficult discussions with our continental friends/partners.
        You got me busted. I thought this thread was a joke, I didn't realize that was not in general and was banned for an improper response in profession fora. I apologize for that.

Back to the topic.

Probably you already knew my response due to my 1st reaction, because in a democracy, a person can't be discriminated by political beliefs, etc... the previous links show that it's illegal.

I believe that the Brexiters are protectionist and it does not mean that they are enemies of a specific country, but you know better than me. During the interview, this kind of questions are not welcome to the candidates and a wise candidate would never answer this kind of questions and you may lose a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          You got me busted.
          No I didn't. There was only total d**khead comment and it wasn't yours. You got banned for the other bull tulip you were writing in other threads I reckon.

Probably you already knew my response due to my 1st reaction, because in a democracy, a person can't be discriminated by political beliefs, etc... the previous links show that it's illegal.
          Actually it seems to be legal to discriminate against someone for the political beliefs, just not their religious beliefs.

During the interview, this kind of questions are not welcome to the candidates and a wise candidate would never answer this kind of questions and you may lose a good one.
          It all depends on the question asked (only a total plank would ask "did you vote for or against Brexit?"). And whenever I do interviews there's very rarely any right/wrong answers, it's all about the approach and thought used.
          This is quite a senior post so attitude, intelligence and diplomacy are all factors.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Actually it seems to be legal to discriminate against someone for the political beliefs, just not their religious beliefs.
            Not exactly.

It depends on the role you are recruiting for and what your organisation/company does.

So you could refuse to recruit a member of the BNP as their political philosophy goes against your company's equal opportunities policies however you couldn't do that for a member of the Conservative party unless you were something like a left-wing think tank or Labour Government minister.

So if you asked someone if they voted Brexit then you couldn't refuse to recruit them for voting Brexit unless it was specifically related to the job. However if they came out with illogical tulip on why they voted Brexit then you can refuse to recruit them for the illogical tulip they said.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If somebody would ask me such question, I would know that person who is hiring, is not 100% mentally stable. And I would think 3x times before going to such place. However, I would answer - I am sorry but I don't have opinion on this topic.

That's is even worse than asking what type of animal would you be and why....
              Last edited by AndrewK; 18 September 2017, 23:46.

Comment

You got me busted. I thought this thread was a joke, I didn't realize that was not in general and was banned for an improper response in profession fora. I apologize for that.
                I do believe the reason for the ban was for 'continuing to spoil threads and being a general arse in the prof fora' and not just for your response to this thread.

Either way, continuing to post in the thread you think you got banned for is a good idea how?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                  If somebody would ask me such question, I would know that person who is hiring, is not 100% mentally stable. And I would think 3x times before going to such place. However, I would answer - I am sorry but I don't have opinion on this topic.

That's is even worse than asking what type of animal would you be and why....
                  +1.
                  If a client asked me such a question I would run a mile - what a peculiar question! I would equate it with the loaded questions of yesteryear, like "How old are you, I don't see your DOB on your CV?". I would be re-evaluating clientco's culture and values. The question may be legal, but I would also answer "I don't have an opinion about that" and wait for the interview to end.
                  "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

It should be ok to discriminate based on religious and political beliefs else the following would be illegal
                    Catholic priest will not be interviewed for a job at the Sunni Mosque and a openly Tory member won't get a job at Labour HQ

So if the role is working for a remain organisation it should be fine to refuse a brexiteer

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      It should be ok to discriminate based on religious and political beliefs else the following would be illegal
                      Catholic priest will not be interviewed for a job at the Sunni Mosque and a openly Tory member won't get a job at Labour HQ

So if the role is working for a remain organisation it should be fine to refuse a brexiteer
                      Yep as it is ok to discriminate on sex, gender, ethnicity, religion, age and political belief where it is a specific qualification for the job.

So for example a Tory government minister can refuse to employ someone who is an active and vocal member of the Labour party. A care home can refuse to employ a woman and employ a man instead if they want someone to wash the intimate body areas of their disabled old male customers. A Church can refuse to hire a Muslim volunteer for their religious playgroup. A newspaper who wants the views of people under 25 can refuse to hire someone who is 35 for the job etc.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X