• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Argument over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    So protecting copyrights means the argument is over? Post brexit banana republic UK will encourage all copyrights to be infringed
    They are jokes, humorous pictures - no one is making money from them directly and therefore no one is infringing copyrights.

But do you really want to live in state which does not allow humour?

Have you read Brave New World, Clockwork Orange or even Fahrenheit 451?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Have your read the Daily Mail, Daily Express & The Sun.
      The want us to live in a world of fear, devoid of humour, banned because it goes against their propaganda.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

They are jokes, humorous pictures - no one is making money from them directly and therefore no one is infringing copyrights.

In any case, satire is protected. Hence the Bored of the Rings book etc.

It sounds like the problem with the legislation is that the companies who will action it will end up automating their enforcement and won't distinguish satire from infringement.

Anyway, the legislation has not been passed, so I'll stand down from Fahrenheit 451 concerns, and leave compatriots still in the UK to consider the level of video surveillance they live with.

Comment

I'm sure people are trying to make money out of some of them, where the picture is used as clickbait and link to some vague website. Secondly it's not only humour it's often used to make political points or other rubbish "feel good" or Jesus relifreak messages and thirdly if I was an artis or photographer and my work work was used without my permission I would be pissed of as well.

Comment

I'm sure people are trying to make money out of some of them, where the picture is used as clickbait and link to some vague website. Secondly it's not only humour it's often used to make political points or other rubbish "feel good" or Jesus relifreak messages and thirdly if I was an artis or photographer and my work work was used without my permission I would be pissed of as well.
            IIRC, profiting from satire is fine. It is an exception to copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              IIRC, profiting from satire is fine. It is an exception to copyright.
              Satire is in general not using others material, but making your own material based on someone else's. These stupid memes are mostly the former and therefor copyright infringements

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Another person who doesn't quite know how the EU is run...
                "Keep voting until we get the result we want". True democracy in action. And now you're going to tell me I missed something...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Satire is in general not using others material, but making your own material based on someone else's. These stupid memes are mostly the former and therefor copyright infringements
                  I think I had that wrong and it is parody that is protected as fair use, not satire.

A 'One does not simply ban memes' meme is a parody so should be protected although it would need an expert lawyer really.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    "Keep voting until we get the result we want". True democracy in action. And now you're going to tell me I missed something...
                    If you’re inferring, for example, Ireland, there were substantial amendments between the first and second vote. So in that sense you are correct, the Irish people did keep voting until they got the result that they wanted. True democracy in action.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      If you’re inferring, for example, Ireland, there were substantial amendments between the first and second vote. So in that sense you are correct, the Irish people did keep voting until they got the result that they wanted. True democracy in action.
                      You might as well apply for the head of PR for the EU, you'd be a shoe-in. The EU dangled a stick, rather than a carrot, and the Irish voters crapped themselves. They voted for what the EU wanted, not necessarily what what the Irish voters wanted. Project fear in action, and winning for a change.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X