• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theresa May backs immigration plan that favours skilled workers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa May backs immigration plan that favours skilled workers

Theresa May’s cabinet has agreed a post-Brexit immigration system that will offer visas to immigrants in a tiered system based on skills and wealth, a flagship policy that is expected to be one of her key announcements to the Conservative party conference next week.

Downing Street hopes the migration policy will appeal to party members concerned about May’s leadership and the Brexit negotiations, which last week appeared to have reached an impasse at Salzburg when EU leaders declared her Chequers proposals would not work.

Ministers signed off a plan presented by the home secretary, Sajid Javid, in which skilled workers will more easily be able to obtain visas than the unskilled and in which there will be no preferential access to the UK labour market for EU citizens.

Theresa May backs immigration plan that favours skilled workers | Politics | The Guardian

So all IT folk who voted for Brexit - now you will get more IT immigrants AND you will lose right to work in EU - fooking hilarious

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    So all IT folk who voted for Brexit - now you will get more IT immigrants AND you will lose right to work in EU - fooking hilarious
    Exactly what I was saying before the brexit vote even took place.

Comment

I predict at least doubling of IT related work permits and it won’t be Americans from Silicon Valley leading it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I predict at least doubling of IT related work permits and it won’t be Americans from Silicon Valley leading it.
        Internal rate card when I contracted for a major US based IT company

Salesforce.com technical lead US based $750 per day
        India based $9 per day
        India based on-shored to UK $90 per day
        Last edited by Eirikur; 25 September 2018, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

India based $9 per day
          And you'll get exactly what you're paying for - $hite!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Brexit voter : I hate brown people I'm voting Brexit
            Human : but....
            Brexit voter : it's out of control immigration. All those p*kis, arabs and moslems
            Human : but...

vote happens....

Brexit voter : yippee
            TCS : yippee
            Wipro : yippee
            Human :
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

India based $9 per day
              On a project a few years ago. We needed a SAP technical person to update an SAP interface to a different FTP server. Cap Gem quoted £150 a day for a bob.
              We said : we know it's simple but we'd rather pay £1000 a day and get it right as this go-live is VERY high profile and we're already into the project to the tune of £500,000 so another £1k is neither hear nor there.

They refused. He ****ed it up.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                On a project a few years ago. We needed a SAP technical person to update an SAP interface to a different FTP server. Cap Gem quoted £150 a day for a bob.
                We said : we know it's simple but we'd rather pay £1000 a day and get it right as this go-live is VERY high profile and we're already into the project to the tune of £500,000 so another £1k is neither hear nor there.

They refused. He ****ed it up.

So you decided on someone's skill based on their mother country - bloody racist.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  So you decided on someone's skill based on their mother country - bloody racist.
                  no. I (well it was actually me, the PM on the supplier side and the PM on the customer side) decided the resource may not be as skilled as we desire based on the day rate. peanuts/monkeys etc.

Read what I wrote.

And it wasn't lack of skill that f**ked it up. It was lack of speaking English as a first language.
                  Apparently "are you ready to go? This needs to be done no earlier than midday so DON'T DO IT BEFORE" means "do it now".

Is judging someone's language skills in English, based on their mother country/tongue racist? If it is then I'm racist.
                  Last edited by Lance; 25 September 2018, 12:58.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Brexit voter : I hate brown people I'm voting Brexit
                    Human : but....
                    Brexit voter : it's out of control immigration. All those p*kis, arabs and moslems
                    Human : but...

vote happens....

Brexit voter : yippee
                    TCS : yippee
                    Wipro : yippee
                    Human :
                    no. I (well it was actually me, the PM on the supplier side and the PM on the customer side) decided the resource may not be as skilled as we desire based on the day rate. peanuts/monkeys etc.

Read what I wrote.

And it wasn't lack of skill that f**ked it up. It was lack of speaking English as a first language.
                    Apparently "are you ready to go? This needs to be done no earlier than midday so DON'T DO IT BEFORE" means "do it now".

Is judging someone's language skills in English, based on their mother country/tongue racist? If it is then I'm racist.

I did. Don't make sweeping statements if you aren't prepared to receive the same.

And yes I agree real skill level (sorry common language is a skill), cultural and business norms are important in projects.
                    Everything in writing is a good call.

I did wonder why one of the best PM's I worked with called us all when it was nearly time for us start something in live. Then a fill in guy took over while he was on holiday and about 20% of the resources fecked up and impacted my work.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X