• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parliamentary sovereignty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Loving the fact that hardly anyone has seen the agreement, but JRM, BoJo etc are saying it’s terrible having not read it.

Talk about whinging gammonflakes...

But anyway, I’m sure true Brexit supporters will be on here shortly, all smiles/smilies to cheer us on with “Brexit means Brexit” and their other catchy slogans with deep meaning.

Finally, the day is here when we get the agreement that gives the NHS £350 million a week, diverted from the EU, not from new taxes. We get to leave the EU and everything to do with it. We get to take back control of our sovereign borders, sovereign laws, etc. All immigration will stop.
    We will have free trade with the world.
    We will all be richer straight away.
    I don’t know why it’s taken so long to achieve the easiest deal in history, after all the EU needs us so badly.

Utopia here we come.
    I agree people should understand what is in there before commenting. Especially those in the "born to rule" camp.

The key for me is being out of EU control. The UK is still a part of Europe. The EUSSR will fail eventually. As much as Germany would like a European Army under its control including nukes.

Comment

I think one should have an open mind and take an objective view on what will be in the trade agreement written by the evil oppressive EUSSR and should be viewed without prejudice regardless of the fact that it has been written by undemocratic evil faceless bureaucrats.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 November 2018, 09:42.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        I think one should have an open mind and take an objective view on what will be in the trade agreement written by the evil oppressive EUSSR and should be viewed without prejudice regardless of the fact that it has been written by undemocratic evil faceless bureaucrats.
        As it has been wriiten by the UK and the EUSSR I don't share your concerns.

I do have concerns about whether this will get through parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          the chances of MPs understanding will be zero.
          Bearing in mind that until the past few days, Dominic Raab thought the Dover - Calais route only existed for tourists going to France for cheap booze, and not for a huge amount of RoRo freight requiring rapid passage to meet JIT schedules, then yes - there is no chance they will understand this. Especially whilst being blindsided by the nonsense being spouted by Boris and JRM.

Fact - All we'll get out of Brexit is that the EU will actually become undemocratic for British, because we wont have a seat at the decision making table, we wont be voting for MEPs, and we wont be selecting any of those EU presidents. Everything else will be the same.

That is a bad deal, but it is exactly what we voted for. And in the context of 'no deal is better than a bad deal', this particular bad deal is a good deal compared to the devastation of no deal.

There are going to be a lot of outraged gammons (who haven't read the agreement, who will never read it, but are perfectly happy to accept Boris and JRM's summary even though THEY haven't read it either). The cost to the NHS in dealing with extra burst blood vessels will be about - oooh - £350m a week I think.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
            I do have concerns about whether this will get through parliament.
            Doesn't matter. If it gets rejected, there's a General Election and Remain will win.

Brexit is dead.

The party's over.

Back to reality.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              Doesn't matter. If it gets rejected, there's a General Election and Remain will win.
              Technically speaking, 'Remain' wont be an option on a General Election ballot paper. And almost certainly nowhere near enough time for a credible pro-Remain party to emerge. Yes, the Lib Dems exist, but I used the word 'credible'. Lib Dems lost that when they sold their soul to the tories in 2010.

So, with the two main parties going forward with Leave, how does remain win?
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Yep, that’s me.

But at least I’ve given you time to read it before you decide to ignore it and code a dogs breakfast.
                Not written any code this century tbh!

Comment

You are all deluded.

This is clearly going to be forced through the cabinet with the cabinet coming out in full support (or they will be forced to resign their posts) and then the whips will do their job with the back benches - vote for the deal in parliament or lose your seat in a GE There will probably be enough labour support to squeeze it through parliament. UK is then left with a leave agreement with a probable, non time limited back stop where UK remains part of the EU but with no say or vote on what happens with regard to setting of rules/regs, i.e. we give away our sovereignty. Nice one.....NOT

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    Technically speaking, 'Remain' wont be an option on a General Election ballot paper. And almost certainly nowhere near enough time for a credible pro-Remain party to emerge. Yes, the Lib Dems exist, but I used the word 'credible'. Lib Dems lost that when they sold their soul to the tories in 2010.

Whether the UK is technically a member of the EU or defacto doesn't really matter. When I lived in Switzerland, the Swiss seemed almost oblivious to the fact that they ate "sh*te". I didn't notice anything different living there, apart from the fact that their proudly independent farm produce cost an absolute fortune in the supermarkets.

The bad bits about Brexit will be the "sovereignty" things where the government has managed a bit of independence like chlorinated chickens from the US and longer queues at Folkstone when going on holiday.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                      The Tories will be broken. They will have failed to elect a Brexit PM. They will have failed to support a BRINO PM. That only leaves one option. Labour don't like the EU but they also have no chance whatsoever of pushing Brexit. Once you all stare BRINO in the face, it becomes a no-brainer to start whispering "Bracktrack". Not that it makes much difference. BRINO or Bractrack - who cares? Either way it's back to business-as-usual.
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X