• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let me be perfectly clear. The UK will leave the EU on 29th March 2019.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    But could we not just go to Chile and negotiate a better deal than we had when in the EU?

I mean I am pretty sure that most of the wine growing countries in the EU would have voted to have quite high import tax on wines from outside the EU?
    Here we go with wild speculation again.

EU tariff on Chilean wine is 0% as there is a free trade deal.
    If we trade with Chile on WTO terms the tariff will be 32%.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Indeed further investigation shows the UK duty and vat far outweigh any import tariff so it really is a moot point!

Comment

Where do you get 32% from. Just looked through WTO database and it is nothing like that figure. 6%.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Indeed further investigation shows the UK duty and vat far outweigh any import tariff so it really is a moot point!
          Moot point ... FFS that is an understatement and a half.

Are you yet beginning to realise all the lies you were sold by the leave campaign, or do you still blindly believe all their guff?
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Didn't you already know that?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              Where do you get 32% from. Just looked through WTO database and it is nothing like that figure. 6%.

I stand corrected. The ad valorem for Chilean wine is 6%. I trusted a journalist who claimed it was 32%. That'll teach me.

There are 32 ad valorem duties applied which may be how the journalist ****ed it up.

The WTO provide a queriable database here WTO | Tariff Download Facility: WTO tariff data base
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I stand corrected. The ad valorem for Chilean wine is 6%. I trusted a journalist who claimed it was 32%. That'll teach me.

There are 32 ad valorem duties applied which may be how the journalist ****ed it up.

The WTO provide a queriable database here WTO | Tariff Download Facility: WTO tariff data base
                No problem.
                <<engage smug mode>>
                A valuable lesson regarding trusting anything a journalist tell you.

Comment

Given the import tariff on wine from Chile is 0, that wouldn’t be hard.

Do Australia next, it’s more of a challenge.

Comment

Working...
                  X