• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Govt Remainers Move to Kill No Deal Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Not necessarily. They could risk mass riots and civil unrest by revoking Article 50.
    Where is the MP for Huntingdon when you need him, or is it a her now.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Jonathon Djanogly Conservative MP for Huntingdon.

Quite a reputation to live up to!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        How does a politician take no deal off the table before March 29th?

Quite simply, an act of parliament that says the UK cannot crash out of the EU on 29th March with no deal. This would supersede the current A50 act of parliament. We're a sovereign nation, we're allowed to do this, don't you know

If, at that point, the only two options open to parliament are May's deal (whether original or some tweaked version), or no brexit, then one of these must be chosen.

Alternatively we may be able to extend A50 to continue negotiating.

The fact you don't want 'no deal' not to be an option doesn't mean you're right. The fact that Moggy is getting desperate and talking of closing parliament down shows he believes this is a possibility.

Anyway, it will all come out in the wash next week.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Quite simply, an act of parliament that says the UK cannot crash out of the EU on 29th March with no deal. This would supersede the current A50 act of parliament. We're a sovereign nation, we're allowed to do this, don't you know

If, at that point, the only two options open to parliament are May's deal (whether original or some tweaked version), or no brexit, then one of these must be chosen.

Alternatively we may be able to extend A50 to continue negotiating.

The fact you don't want 'no deal' not to be an option doesn't mean you're right. The fact that Moggy is getting desperate and talking of closing parliament down shows he believes this is a possibility.

Anyway, it will all come out in the wash next week.
          But NoDeal is enshrined in A50 and EU law and the Lisbon treaty which trumps anything parliament does. What you are proposing is not enforcible in law. UK parliament is not soveriegn when dealing with the EU.

The reality is that if nothing happens to change the end date of March29th and we have no ratified deal the we leave with NO DEAL.

Comment

The only way to get no deal off the table is to have a deal. The only deal we have currently is May's deal. Therefore those that want no deal off the table must support May's deal.
            But NoDeal is enshrined in A50 and EU law and the Lisbon treaty which trumps anything parliament does. What you are proposing is not enforcible in law. UK parliament is not soveriegn when dealing with the EU.

The reality is that if nothing happens to change the end date of March29th and we have no ratified deal the we leave with NO DEAL.

See if you can spot the difference between the two posts that I have quoted above. Then come back and tell us.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Not necessarily. They could risk mass riots and civil unrest by revoking Article 50.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

But NoDeal is enshrined in A50 and EU law and the Lisbon treaty
                No it isn't. The opposite, in fact.

The text of A50 says (inter alia):
                In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union.
                shall negotiate and conclude an agreement.

Interestingly, there is nothing in A50 about what to do if the agreement is not concluded. But the text of A50 is clear that an agreement is expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  There would certainly be some strong gammonflakery on LBC and the odd rag tag fascist march.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The end game has now started.

Cabinet Remoaners conspire to thwart no deal Brexit

Once no deal is off the table, the next issue will be "the point of Brexit".

I see you conveniently forgot the bit

The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

The treaties shall cease to apply...

On March 29th unless there is a deal or the can is kicked down the road ( A50 is extended) The treaties shall cease to apply...we leave with NO DEAL.

Comment

I see you conveniently forgot the bit

The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

The treaties shall cease to apply...

On March 29th unless there is a deal or the can is kicked down the road ( A50 is extended) The treaties shall cease to apply...we leave with NO DEAL.

You forgot about withdrawal of A50. Keep up.

Comment

Working...
                      X